apache/php/mysql

Strahimir Antoljak

I recently ventured into mamboserver.com
apache/php/mysql based webserver/hosting.
They absolutely claim that this thing is by far
superior as compared with MS IIS/ASP.NET.
Any thoughts? Is that really true? .... or those
guys have no clue...

thanks

Strahimir Antoljak

I'm not talking about programming languages
only, but also about webservers... the whole
package.

thanks,
--
Strah @ Langan

RAW said:
For good programmers there is no superior programming lenguages
at the end all are the same sh@#..$

Ivan Demkovitch

For people who asking about it there is no difference for sure..

Strahimir Antoljak said:
I'm not talking about programming languages
only, but also about webservers... the whole
package.

thanks,

Strahimir Antoljak

well for them there is a pretty big difference.
I am asking for some benchmarks, concrete
data, experiences with both, not just some
general remarks. thanks

Ivan Demkovitch

Usually benchmarks don't mean anything. They do not correspond to real world
applications.

Here is more about HOW MUCH it cost and HOW LONG it takes to make things
work.
And only person who equally good with 2 technologies could answer that. But
this persons don't bias to one or another. They just work and do whatever
their client wants.

RAW

For good programmers there is no superior programming lenguages
at the end all are the same sh@#..$

Strahimir Antoljak

Usually benchmarks don't mean anything

If so, they would not exist I think.
And only person who equally good with 2 technologies could answer that

that's the kind of person I am addressing in this post.
They just work and do whatever their client wants.

Clients most often have no clue what's behind it, they
are interested in the final result. Again, I am asking
this: for the same result why would developer use
one over another, and in what situations. Maybe,
some real world examples.

Alex Papadimoulis

Strah,

If by "superior" they mean a "fun, free toy to play with," they yes, it
really is true. PhP/mySQL is pretty cute.

In all seriousness, if you need to write a simple database-driven website,
such as an updatable list of contact names, then either technology would
work. Now if you need a web-application, or have some "real" stuff to do,
your best bet is using "real" tools, .NET is my preference, but there are
other options, like J2EE and the like.

And yes, if you were really dedicated, I'm sure you could do everything in
php/mysql that you could do in .net/j2ee/etc ... heck, you could even write
the whole thing in assembly if you wanted. But if reliability, scalability,
maintainability, and ease of development are important, stick with the
"real" tools to get the job done.

Alex Papadimoulis

Strahimir Antoljak

Thanks Alex,