    Any thoughts? Is that really true? .... or those
    guys have no clue...

    thanks

    Strahimir Antoljak, Dec 11, 2003

  2. I'm not talking about programming languages
    only, but also about webservers... the whole
    package.

    thanks,
    --
    Strah @ Langan

    Strahimir Antoljak, Dec 11, 2003

  3. For people who asking about it there is no difference for sure..

    Ivan Demkovitch, Dec 11, 2003
  4. well for them there is a pretty big difference.
    I am asking for some benchmarks, concrete
    data, experiences with both, not just some
    general remarks. thanks

    Strahimir Antoljak, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Usually benchmarks don't mean anything. They do not correspond to real world
    applications.

    Here is more about HOW MUCH it cost and HOW LONG it takes to make things
    work.
    And only person who equally good with 2 technologies could answer that. But
    this persons don't bias to one or another. They just work and do whatever
    their client wants.

    Ivan Demkovitch, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Strahimir Antoljak

    RAW Guest

    For good programmers there is no superior programming lenguages
    at the end all are the same [email protected]#..$

    RAW, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Usually benchmarks don't mean anything

    If so, they would not exist I think.
    that's the kind of person I am addressing in this post.
    Clients most often have no clue what's behind it, they
    are interested in the final result. Again, I am asking
    this: for the same result why would developer use
    one over another, and in what situations. Maybe,
    some real world examples.

    Strahimir Antoljak, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Strah,

    If by "superior" they mean a "fun, free toy to play with," they yes, it
    really is true. PhP/mySQL is pretty cute.

    In all seriousness, if you need to write a simple database-driven website,
    such as an updatable list of contact names, then either technology would
    work. Now if you need a web-application, or have some "real" stuff to do,
    your best bet is using "real" tools, .NET is my preference, but there are
    other options, like J2EE and the like.

    And yes, if you were really dedicated, I'm sure you could do everything in
    php/mysql that you could do in .net/j2ee/etc ... heck, you could even write
    the whole thing in assembly if you wanted. But if reliability, scalability,
    maintainability, and ease of development are important, stick with the
    "real" tools to get the job done.

    Alex Papadimoulis

    Alex Papadimoulis, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Thanks Alex,