API for .ods files

Gilbert Ostlethwaite

Hi

Is there an API for processing OpenOffice spreadsheets (.ods files)
like Apache POI deals with Excel (.xls) files. I know I can unpack the
file and get access to the raw XML, but I really want an API that
deals at the level of worksheets, columns and rows.

Regards

Gilbert Ostlethwaite

I missed that :-(. I've had a look at the OpenOffice SDK and that
looks too complicated at the moment for what I'm trying to do. Is the
odftoolkit "production" ready ... the job on hand is a quick and dirty
one-off. Given that I'm reasonably confident with POI would I run into
serious problems if I convert the ods file to xls and just carried on
with POI?

Lew

I've noticed a number of posts where the blank is missing, in this case
between the labeling text and the URL reference. Many posts also munge the
URLs themselves, substituting ellipses for the most distinguishing part of the
URL (the subdirectory and resource). Are these posters using Google Groups?

If so, it's more evidence that Google Groups is (perhaps only nearly) the
worst interface to Usenet ever. If not, then GG has competition.

Gordon Beaton

I missed that :-(. I've had a look at the OpenOffice SDK and that
looks too complicated at the moment for what I'm trying to do. Is the
odftoolkit "production" ready ... the job on hand is a quick and dirty
one-off. Given that I'm reasonably confident with POI would I run into
serious problems if I convert the ods file to xls and just carried on
with POI?

Sorry dunno, I just did a simple search. There's however a wiki and
some discussion forums at openoffice.org where you might find simple
examples.

For a one-off though, I'd just open the file manually in OpenOffice
and export to Excel then use the existing POI code, or to CSV or
something easily managed.

/gordon

Lars Enderin

Lew skrev:
I've noticed a number of posts where the blank is missing, in this case
between the labeling text and the URL reference. Many posts also munge
the URLs themselves, substituting ellipses for the most distinguishing
part of the URL (the subdirectory and resource). Are these posters
using Google Groups?

Certainly. The munging (replacing parts of URLs with ellipses) seems to
be intended to prevent bots/crawlers from harvesting URLs, especially
mailto URLs. If you use Google Groups, you can click on the ellipsis,
and you will be shown a form with some characters in a picture. If you
type in those characters in a form field, the complete URL becomes visible.