App_Error In Global.asax and HTTP 404 File Not Found

Joey

Why do HTTP 404 File Not Found messages not get trapped and sent into
App_Error in Global.asax, like most other errors/exceptions? How do I
detect it?

Aidy

I think only application errors (mainly unhandled exceptions) get raised in
global.asax. If you want to trap 404 errors then create your own 404
handling page and configure IIS to use your page rather than the default
one.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Why do HTTP 404 File Not Found messages not get trapped and sent into
!> App_Error in Global.asax, like most other errors/exceptions? How do I detect it?

In global.asax :

Sub Application_Error(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
Server.Transfer("Errors.aspx")
End Sub

Errors.aspx:
-----------------
<script language="VB" runat="server">
Dim errMessage As String = ""
Dim appException As System.Exception = Server.GetLastError()
If (TypeOf (appException) Is HttpException) Then
Dim checkException As HttpException = CType(appException, HttpException)
Select Case checkException.GetHttpCode
Case 401
errMessage &= "You are not authorized to view this page."
Case 403
errMessage &= "You are not allowed to view that page."
Case 404
errMessage &= "The page you have requested can't be found."
Case 500
errMessage &= "The server can't fulfill your request."
Case Else
errMessage &= "The server has experienced an error."
End Select
Else
errMessage &= "The following error occurred<BR>" & appException.ToString
End If
ErrorMessage.Text = errMessage & "<BR>We're sorry for the inconvenience."
Server.ClearError()
End Sub
</script>
<hr>
<asp:label id="ErrorMessage" font-size="12" font-bold="true" runat=server/>
<hr>