applet java on PDA

gp79

if I have a PDA with the JVM, are applets supported in the internet browser?
if so, how can I write an applet suitable for the PDA? is the same as for
the PC?

Darryl Pierce

gp79 said:
if I have a PDA with the JVM, are applets supported in the internet browser?
if so, how can I write an applet suitable for the PDA? is the same as for
the PC?

What PDA? Which VM? Which browser? Which OS?

gp79

every one!
this is the point.... I have to write an applet suitable for every PDA,
with every VM ecc..., or almost for the big part of them... if it is
possible...

Darryl Pierce

gp79 said:
every one!
this is the point.... I have to write an applet suitable for every PDA,
with every VM ecc..., or almost for the big part of them... if it is
possible...

Good luck with that. It's a ridiculous, unrealistic requirement. "Every
PDA" is about as ambiguous as you can get. Does it include Zaurus
handsets? Palms? Which Palms, since they're not all the same? Symbian
OS? Pocket PC? Which version of Pocket PC? How do you plan to *test*?

Come back with real requirements and we can talk.

gp79

ridiculos, unrealistic requirement????????????????????????????

maybe I didn't explain myself....

the requirement is exactly this! to write an applet you can open with the
most part of PDA as possibile!

one of the java qualities is that you can write once, and use your code in
many different OSs and configurations....
I know that it will be impossible (or very difficult) to write an applet you
can open in very every kind of PDAs, but I have to get near it as more as
possible!

Mickey Segal

The Java support on PDAs is quite limited, using a small subset of Java and
not very widely used. Even on real computers the situation is more like
"Write once, debug everywhere" but typical Java programs would need to be
re-written to use the subset of Java that runs on PDAs.

I don't know much more - we looked into Java on PDAs a bit and because of
their limitations decided to ignore PDAs, which seem to be a declining part
of the market now.

Bob

gp79 said:
if I have a PDA with the JVM, are applets supported in the internet browser?
if so, how can I write an applet suitable for the PDA? is the same as for
the PC?

I get the impression applets are not supported in general.

In fact, looking at this page,

http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/java/

I get the impression that PDA manufacturers do not take Java to be worth
their effort. Given the limit resources that a PDA has, they maybe feel
that the work involved in adding full Java support is beyond them.

Which seems a shame, because such varied devices as handheld computers
could really do with a cross-platform solution.

gp79

I read the Jeode readme.htm (Jeode is a JVM for PDA) and I found, as you
siad, that applets can be opened from a PDA browser, but with limitations.
what I would like to know is which is the subset of Java that runs on PDAs
(which classes I can use?)

I know that PDAs seem to be a declining part of the market now, but what I
have to do is specifically for them (I can't help it), and I read that they
will not die, but simple they will merge with smartphones.... people
don't want a device fot telephony and a device for
note-book.................

gp79

I found that recently there are PDAs that come with JVM (if not already
installed, in the CD with them)...
and I found many JVM for PDA (Jeode, SuperWaba, IBM's one...)
I'm asking myself if it is reasonable to think that in the future the
greater part of PDAs will have a JVM, if there will be a common standard and
a free JVM like for PCs....
so that it is not a time loss write applets for PDAs...

Darryl Pierce

gp79 said:
ridiculos, unrealistic requirement????????????????????????????

Yes. "...every PDA" is not a realistic requirement by any stretch of the
imagination.
maybe I didn't explain myself....

No, you didn't.
the requirement is exactly this! to write an applet you can open with the
most part of PDA as possibile!

You said "every PDA". Now you're saying "most...PDA".
one of the java qualities is that you can write once, and use your code in
many different OSs and configurations....

Yes, it is just that, for any OS for which there's a VM implemented.
I know that it will be impossible (or very difficult) to write an applet you
can open in very every kind of PDAs, but I have to get near it as more as
possible!

And that is an *unrealistic* requirement. A realistic requirement
identifies *specific* platforms to target. If you're going to say "every
PDA" or even "most PDAs" then how do you know which ones to use? How do
you know when you're finished? How do you qualify success or failure?

Darryl Pierce

Mickey said:
The Java support on PDAs is quite limited, using a small subset of Java and
not very widely used. Even on real computers the situation is more like
"Write once, debug everywhere" but typical Java programs would need to be
re-written to use the subset of Java that runs on PDAs.

Careful. The MIDP isn't a subset of Java. It's some common APIs and a
set of new, domain-specific APIs that aren't available on J2SE.
I don't know much more - we looked into Java on PDAs a bit and because of
their limitations decided to ignore PDAs, which seem to be a declining part
of the market now.

Declining based on what data?

Darryl Pierce

gp79 said:
I read the Jeode readme.htm (Jeode is a JVM for PDA) and I found, as you
siad, that applets can be opened from a PDA browser, but with limitations.
what I would like to know is which is the subset of Java that runs on PDAs
(which classes I can use?)

Read up on the MIDP, which is the Java environment for most PDAs and
mobile phones. It doesn't run applets, it has an application model based
on MIDlets. All J2ME technologies are going to extend this basic
application model. It is separate from applets and does not require a
browser in order to run; i.e., you launch MIDlets and execute them as
completely independant (of the browser) applications.

Darryl Pierce

Mickey said:
A second issue is how many users will have (or be willing to add) a JVM to a
small device.

They don't. The MIDP environment comes built into the device itself.

gp79

Darryl Pierce said:
Read up on the MIDP, which is the Java environment for most PDAs and
mobile phones. It doesn't run applets, it has an application model based
on MIDlets. All J2ME technologies are going to extend this basic
application model. It is separate from applets and does not require a
browser in order to run; i.e., you launch MIDlets and execute them as
completely independant (of the browser) applications.

but I need an applet because I'm working for a web site...
a web site you can open with a PC or with a PDA....

with Jeode you can open applets on PDA internet explorer, but with
limitations, they say....
I'm asking myself how can I write an applet to respect this limitations, so
to open it with a PC or with a PDA browser whitouth problems...
it's not difficult....

gp79

you like or not, my requirement is EVERY PDA!!!!
if I will find that is not possibile to write something for EVERY PDA,ok, no
problem, I only have establish it! and reduce the scope and write something
for the big part of them!
I'm not working, I'm making a study! and at the beginning I have to start
thinking at EVERY PDA! do you know: "research..........."????

Yes, it is just that, for any OS for which there's a VM implemented.

for which PDA OS there is a JVM implemented?

Darryl Pierce said:
gp79 said:
[...]

Thomas Schodt

gp79 said:
you like or not, my requirement is EVERY PDA!!!!
if I will find that is not possibile to write something for EVERY PDA,ok, no
problem, I only have establish it! and reduce the scope and write something
for the big part of them!
I'm not working, I'm making a study! and at the beginning I have to start
thinking at EVERY PDA! do you know: "research..........."????

for which PDA OS there is a JVM implemented?

Maybe you should consider that the bit *you* need to research.

In that context it does not really make sense for you to come here and
ask others to do this bit of research for you.

Be sure to publish your findings so others with the same question will
not have to do the same research all over again.

Darryl Pierce

gp79 said:
also the PDA with Microsoft Pocket PC ?

No, Microsoft hasn't licensed any J2ME technologies. However, IBM has
the WME which works on PocketPC.