Applet not launching in Netscape on Mac OS X

Christer Brinchmann

Hello.
I am trying to get an applet to work on Mac OS X. The version I am
trying this on now is 10.1.5.

On IE (5.1.3), the applet is showing, and everything is fine. On NS
7.1 and 6.2.3 however, nothing happens.

I read on the Apple developer site
(http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java131Development/index.html)
that os X ships with java 1.3.1, and that it is used to render
applets, without relying on MRJ or anything.

Is there anything I have to configure on the mac in order to get this
working? There is a Java installation present, but the NS acts as if
there isn't.
I am grateful for any tips!

C.

Andrew Thompson

Christer Brinchmann said:
Hello.
I am trying to get an applet to work on Mac OS X. The version I am
trying this on now is 10.1.5.

It would be a lot simpler to help you debug your applet
if you supply an URL - which would seem the natural
thing to do for an applet.

Christer Brinchmann

Hi.
This problem is not specific to the applet I am working on... I have
tried to view applets on other sites with NS, and the same thing
happens.

I am new to Mac, so is there anything I have to do to enable applets
on NS?
As I said, only IE (which apparently ships with an MRJ) is able to
show applets.

C.

Andrew Thompson

Please do not top-post Christer
..This problem is not specific to the applet I am working on... I have
tried to view applets on other sites with NS, and the same thing
happens.

What happens when your try the links here?
http://www.physci.org/test/JRE/
I am new to Mac, so is there anything I have to do to enable applets
on NS?

You possibly need to _install_ the Java Plug-In, see..
http://www.physci.org/test/java/PlugIn.html

It was written mostly considering the IE JVM,
but it mentions that browsers suppliers are
getting to the point where they offer Java/no-Java
versions..
As I said, only IE (which apparently ships with an MRJ) is able to
show applets.

What is an MRJ?

Christer Brinchmann

http://www.physci.org/test/JRE

For all jre versions, the page displays
"This browser supports the Java Version required!
If this message appears in the page, Java is DISABLED..."

And, I have triple- checked that "Enable Java" is checked...

BTW: MRJ is MacOS Runtime for Java

Andrew Thompson

Christer Brinchmann said:
http://www.physci.org/test/JRE

For all jre versions, the page displays
"This browser supports the Java Version required!
If this message appears in the page, Java is DISABLED..."

The first of the pages that appear in the
frameset you were looking at - is here..
http://www.physci.org/test/JRE/javaversion10.html

If you look at the source (now ..who's showing off..)
http://www.physci.org/codes/display.jsp?fl=/test/JRE/javaversion10.htm

You'll see that what you are getting there is the
'alt' tag. Which suggests, that..
a) The browser understands the Java tag and
b) The browser either does not have a JVM,
or has the JVM disabled.
And, I have triple- checked that "Enable Java" is checked...

Ehh.. go figure.
"Calling all Mac experts"
BTW: MRJ is MacOS Runtime for Java

So.. it stands for Mr. Java? ;-)

Mickey Segal

Christer Brinchmann said:
For all jre versions, the page displays
"This browser supports the Java Version required!
If this message appears in the page, Java is DISABLED..."

And, I have triple- checked that "Enable Java" is checked...

The Java support on Mac OS X is the same for all browsers. Are you able to
run applets using Internet Explorer or Safari? Are you able to run a
minimalist applet such as http://segal.org/java/Hello/ ?

A good place to reach Macintosh Java experts is on the MRJ-Dev list:

Some other Macintosh Java resources are listed at http://segal.org/java/

David Risner

Hi.
This problem is not specific to the applet I am working on... I have
tried to view applets on other sites with NS, and the same thing
happens.

I am new to Mac, so is there anything I have to do to enable applets
on NS?
As I said, only IE (which apparently ships with an MRJ) is able to
show applets.

What version of Netscape are you using?

Make sure that you are using Netscape 7+ for Mac OS X. Netscape 4 is
classic mode only and Netscape 6 had some problems with Java if I
recall.

Mickey Segal

David Risner said:
Make sure that you are using Netscape 7+ for Mac OS X. Netscape 4 is
classic mode only and Netscape 6 had some problems with Java if I
recall.

This reminds me that some versions of Netscape for Macintosh report
JavaScript's javaEnabled as false even if Java is enabled. This could cause
a problem if you are calling javaEnabled in the HTML page. Details at:
http://segal.org/macjavabugs/enabled/