Applet security override

simplicity

Hi

I am getting the exception caused by
(java.lang.RuntimePermission loadLibrary.<dll-name>).

I know that this is to be expected as applets generally have no access
to resources outside of the browser. After digging for the possible
solutions I found (http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/
Programming/JDCBook/appA.html) that this may actually be possible by
granting such access in the policy file.

I edited java.policy.applet file - the one which is generated and sits
in the same location as CLASS files. The modified policy file looks as
follows:

grant {
permission java.security.AllPermission; // this was generated
permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "loadLibrary.*"; // this is
added by me
}

Unfortunately, I still have the same exception. Any idea what I am
missing? Wrong policy file perhaps?

Is there another way of granting applet with access to local DLLs? I
think signed applet was another hint but could someone guide me how to
do this?

Roedy Green

I edited java.policy.applet file - the one which is generated and sits
in the same location as CLASS files. The modified policy file looks as
follows:

There are several problems with that technique.

1. Your computer may have a dozen policy files. You have to make sure
you edit the correct one.

2. You can't very well ask others to fiddle their policy files. Most
users don't even know what a file or text editor is.

3. Others in corporate environments are not permitted to modify their
policy files. That is the sole responsibility of the IT department.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/policyfile.html

Arne Vajhøj

[...]

It seems very unlikely that the browser plugin will look for
the policy in the same dir as your class file.
Is there another way of granting applet with access to local DLLs? I
think signed applet was another hint but could someone guide me how to
do this?

I think you will be better off switching to Java Web Start.

Arne