Signed Applet vs Editing Java Policy file

Krist

Hi All,
We are using Applet in our jsf/jsp application to do just ONE thing :
print into local printer.

To avoid the user confirmation dialog , two possible approach are :
- signed the applet
- add 'permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "queuePrintJob" to
java.policy file on client's computer

Editing the client's java.policy file seems to be a lot more simpler
to do to meet our requirement.

Does any more experienced java guy here have other opinion on this ?

Thank you for your comments,
Krist

markspace

Krist said:
Editing the client's java.policy file seems to be a lot more simpler
to do to meet our requirement.

Really? You want end users to edit policy files on their own hard disc?
I greatly doubt most users will even understand, let alone actually
give you permission. I personally would rather use the confirmation dialog.

Roedy Green

Editing the client's java.policy file seems to be a lot more simpler
to do to meet our requirement.

This is usually extremely difficult to do.

1. you can't edit policy files that are not part of your corporation.

2. you need admin permission to do it in house.

3. You have to modify and maintain multiple policy files for all your
clients.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Beauty is our business.
~ Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (born: 1930-05-11 died: 2002-08-06 at age: 72)

Referring to computer science.