AppServer / WebServices / Half-object pattern questions

Thomas Hoheneder

Hello,

I have some experience with Tomcat and JBoss and now I have to make a new
application with some other or additional technologies in comparison with a
straight-forward servlet or EJB application. Now I have a few general
questions whose answers I couldn't find. Maybe you can help me.

1) Can I also run a non web based frontend within Tomcat/JBoss or are they
only made for browser based presentation layers? I have heard about the
half-object design pattern which is made for Swing applications as far as I
have understood. Some sources in the internet told me that it should be
possible to write an application with using both EJB or servlet container
and the half-objet pattern. So it seems as if one can get Swing work with a
servlet or EJB container. Is this really right or am I wrong?

2) I have heard about web services but don't know anything about it. I
consider evaluation of this topic but before doing so I have one question:
Can web services be used in conjunction with application servers like JBoss
or are they not conceived for that? (Maybe you can explain me what the
special benefits of web services are.)

3) Is it possible to have an application based on more than one application
server? If yes, how can the communication between these app servers be
realized in general? Would this be a typical case of division of home and
remote interface when using EJBs?

Any help to this would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Nice greetings from
Thomas