Cloud Questions

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Jun 9, 2014.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Why website is currently static. I make all changes on my desktop and
    upload them hourly. I wondering what would happen if I hosted instead
    on a cloud.

    I can see it would work as-is easily on a cloud. Two clouds could
    serve the same content to the closest customers without any change at
    all. My questions are:

    1. how to do you update the files of a cloud? Can I get rid of that
    accursed FTP?
    2. do you have to update each cloud separately, or is that considered
    an automatic cloud function?

    Now lets say I migrate the random functions (e.g random PSAs, random
    ads, random quotations) to the cloud. Again no problem.

    Now lets say I had some SQL databases that get queried to satisfy
    requests. I guess then I have to upload the entire database from time
    to time and propagate it? or do I? Is it considered an ordinary
    function to send some sort of delta?

    Now lets say I want to keep track of hit counts. I want to
    consolidate the page hits from each cloud. I could download each
    cloud's database consolidated and upload to each cloud. I could have
    only one cloud maintain the database and other clouds access it
    remotely with jdbc or something more secure. Is there some special
    distributed cloud database that lazily keeps all copies in sync?

    I have a lot of static content on my website. Turning every page to a
    JSP servlet would make for one huge server app. What sort of
    techniques are used to separate static and computed parts to glue
    pages together?

    I take it the locations of clouds are not your concern. They could
    wander from server farm to server farm based to where the load is
    coming from and there there is spare compute power. Right?

    Anything else I should consider in such a move?

    Roedy Green, Jun 9, 2014

  2. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    IaaS : depends on your application
    PaaS : depends on your application and the clouds capabilities
    SaaS : depends on the clouds capabilities
    A) Just let the servlet container serve both dynamic and static
    content (possibly with different paths)
    B) Use a servlet container for the dynamic content and a plain web
    server for static content
    More or less. You will typical be able to specify region.
    There are probably no point in moving your pages to a cloud
    instead of the current web hosting solution.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 9, 2014

  3. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Even if your traffic suddenly grew by a factor 1000, then you should
    probably look for a CDN not for IaaS/PaaS/IaaS. The CDN provider
    may then use IaaS/PaaS/IaaS.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 9, 2014
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Jun 10, 2014
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    CDN = Content Delivery Network

    Roedy Green, Jun 10, 2014
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I have done some digging into the CDN, CloudFlare.

    I have posted what I have discovered:

    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cloudflare.html

    Roedy Green, Jun 10, 2014
  7. Java and Apache Common Net is not a bad solution for some
    advanced FTP'ing, if one is fluent in Java.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 11, 2014
  8. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    If you need to process PB of data, then that is necesarry.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 11, 2014