Hello from beginner with some questions!

Joined
Jul 30, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello guys!

i am 30 years old and the last time i was coding a bit was like... 10 years ago. I had done some small programs which are today not even necessary anymore. In that time we still call them programs and not app all the time.

also im not a native english so i am sorry if my english istn that well.

When i was 18-19 i had made some experience with python with gui programming in a small scale and with c# i had done 3-4 small games from tutorials.

But now i want to start again - when i was younger it was like: "Yea lets pick this language and i start" - now i am older and i am sitting on my desk and thinking: "which programming language would fit my purpose the most" - and because there are so many... i am a bit confused where to start.

Because i work in a law field i also see so many problems with IT in general that i really really want to get back again. Simply cause i know there would be many issues solved easier and better than i saw it in my actual workplace. (we have programs which are full packed with so many stuff in it that nobody needs which slows everything down, is overly complex how it works. I cant even open a regular folder with just like 8 pdfs in it (low size) in under 10 seconds cause the program is simply overloaded. And there are many programs with this problem. Especially for small groups of people working together.
I knew cloud is something really big atm and i think it will go on. But the only competitor which does it 'very well' atm is sadly google.

So lets get a bit more specific:

What i want to do:
My plan would be developing a small program which works much faster and better with file management combined with persons, adresses and so on.

My first step would be to develop it as 1 desktop thing and then maybe to into 'cloud' solution.

But i need to start small :D

Can you give me any advice for the programming language?

Joined
Jan 24, 2024
Messages
42
Reaction score
7
Welcome back to the world of coding! It's great to hear that you're excited to jump back in. Given your background and the specific project you have in mind, here are a few suggestions for programming languages:
  1. Python:
    • Python is a versatile and beginner-friendly language.
    • Great for desktop applications and has excellent support for file management.
    • Extensive libraries and frameworks for building GUI applications (e.g., Tkinter, PyQt, or Kivy).
    • Strong community support and a wealth of resources for learning.
  2. C# (with WPF or WinForms):
    • If you enjoyed working with C# before, you might want to continue with it.
    • C# is well-suited for desktop applications, and you can use Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) or Windows Forms for building the user interface.
    • Microsoft Visual Studio provides a powerful development environment.
  3. Java:
    • Java is another versatile language, known for its platform independence.
    • Good for developing cross-platform desktop applications.
    • JavaFX is a GUI toolkit that you can use for building the user interface.
  4. Electron (JavaScript, HTML, CSS):
    • If you're interested in developing a cross-platform desktop application using web technologies, Electron is a great choice.
    • It allows you to build desktop apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
    • Electron apps are essentially web apps packaged in a desktop shell.
Given that you mentioned a potential move to a cloud solution, learning a language that can also be used for backend development would be beneficial. Python and Java are good choices for this purpose.
In summary, Python or C# would be excellent starting points for your desktop application. Once you're comfortable with the basics, you can explore backend development and eventually move towards a cloud-based solution. Good luck with your coding journey!

Joined
Nov 23, 2023
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
[...]

Studies have shown that multitasking can actually decrease productivity by up to 40%. The constant context switching takes time and effort, slowing down overall progress.

Joined
Jan 24, 2024
Messages
42
Reaction score
7
Studies have shown that multitasking can actually decrease productivity by up to 40%. The constant context switching takes time and effort, slowing down overall progress.
Multitasking can reduce productivity by up to 40%, as constant context switching takes time and effort. Focusing on one task at a time, or single-tasking, leads to better concentration and faster completion of tasks. Deep work, without interruptions, enhances productivity in complex cognitive tasks like coding.