    Whenever there are any bug fixes or column changes, we have to resend the changes to them and they have to alter the objects again.

    So, I'm thinking whether are there any phpmyadmin clones which I can simply upload to the web server and do the data modifications/ column modifications / sp modifications ourselves.

    Please advise. Thanks

    Eric Layman, Apr 20, 2007

  2. ASP.NET Enterprise Manager
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/asp-ent-man/

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 20, 2007

  3. Alexey wrote on 19 Apr 2007 23:33:59 -0700:
    Not only does this appear to be no longer being developed (last updates are
    2002), but I've had the unfortunate experience of actually having to use it
    on a recent project. It's bug ridden, and a nightmare to have to use.

    Most frustrating is the inability to be able to export a script (such as for
    creating or altering tables, or indexes) from SQL EM or SMSS and run it in
    ASP.NET EM - every time I've done this it does nothing.

    Making changes to tables is painful - it took me a while to work out that
    all the errors I got due to existing _temp tables was because it has a
    problem when there is a PK on the table, I had to untick the PK and save,
    then make the changes and save, then tick the PK again and save.

    I'm in the process of trying to get the host using ASP.NET EM to install
    Visual WebGUI Enterprise Manager
    (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vwg-ent-man) which looks to pretty much
    replicate SQL EM, and is the only other SQL web admin I've come across since
    trying to find a replacement for ASP.NET EM.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Apr 20, 2007
  4. I was using the ASP.NET EM with a couple of hosting providers (was
    installed by default) and had no big problems with it... A lack of
    export could be a problem (I agree), however, from my opinion all
    changes in the db-structure should be done on your local/development
    server.

    Visual WebGUI Enterprise Manager looks good, I need to try it.

    But there is just one(?) snag

    Quote: "The VEM requires ".wgx" script map to be registered in IIS."
    http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=33510&group_id=168612

    which in most cases cannot be done on remote server

    Eric: why don't you make a simple ASPX-page with just a text field and
    submit button. Using that page you can execute any script (assuming
    you have a dbo access) against the database.

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 20, 2007
  5. Alexey wrote on 20 Apr 2007 02:05:42 -0700:
    But how do I then get that db structure change onto the remote server? I was
    developing a database for a client - their hosting provider only has this
    ASP.NET EM to allow access to the SQL database, so as changes are made to my
    local IIS and SQL setup (all testing is done on my own systems prior to
    uploading to the client's site) there was no way I could get them onto the
    remote SQL Server other than via this ASP.NET EM ...
    I'm hoping that as the client I'm working for has a few dedicated servers
    with the host that they might be able to swing this.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Apr 20, 2007
  6. Using SQL-query window

    CREATE TABLE...
    ALTER TABLE...
    etc.

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 20, 2007
  7. Alexey wrote on 20 Apr 2007 02:41:01 -0700:
    Which as I said, I tried and failed miserably, it just ignored the commands
    I'd exported from EM/SMSS. I had no trouble with modifying data, but the
    structure changes wouldn't work using T-SQL.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Apr 20, 2007
  8. Ah, I think, I remember it. There was an annoying problem in EM, it
    returned no error when a query was wrong, or an execution has failed.

    open source is open source :)

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 20, 2007
  9. Eric Layman

    Jason Kester Guest

    Classic.

    - Client is worried about security, so they lock down remote access to
    the SQL Server.
    - Consultant is annoyed with all this security
    - Consultant installs tool allowing public web admin access to SQL
    Server

    Look, for better of for worse, your client wants his server locked
    down. You should probably consider the possibility that bypassing
    their intentions might be a bad idea. I'd suggest you package up your
    change scripts and email them as you've been doing, and stop poking
    holes in their security.

    Just be sure to bill your time by the hour!

    Jason Kester
    Expat Software Consulting Services
    http://www.expatsoftware.com/

    Jason Kester, Apr 22, 2007