ASP link back to Access database

TrvlOrm

I am having great difficulty in these asp scripts, using VBscript and
JavaScript.

I have 4 files that all need to be linked together.

The first file "Books.html" - needs to search for a Book title, author
or ISBN number from a Access database called "Books.mdb". When the
user clicks Submit from the "Books.html" file (after inputting info in
a text box and clicking the required box to define Title, Author or
ISBN), the information is then filtered through "Books.asp" file and
"CreateTable.asp" file.

<PLEASE SEE MY FILES and coding below this message, didn't know how to
attach files - files below: Books.asp; Books.inc; Books.html and
CreateTable.asp. Not shown is Books.mdb Access database file.

My problem is this: I cannot get the script in the Books.asp file to
only bring up certain information pertaining to that in my search box
from the "Books.html" file. What happens, is a) I get a error message
when I try and debug it or b) the full table comes up.

HELP !

I am using Abysse web server under http://localhost port8080.

Can anyone please help.. Any feedback most appreciated. My personal
e-mail is (e-mail address removed) for any step by step instructions you can
offer.

Thank you so much.

PS - yah, you guessed it, this is a URGENT request too. :)

Code:
"BOOKS.ASP file"
Code:
<HTML>

<!--#INCLUDE FILE="Books.inc" -->
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="ADOVBS.inc" -->
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="CreateTable.asp" -->

<HEAD>

<TITLE>Accessing a Data Store using DSN (Data Source Name) with Active
Server Pages </TITLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY>

<%
Dim objConn
Dim objRec

Dim CheckISBN
Dim CheckTitle
Dim CheckAuthor
Dim SearchString
Dim found

objConn.Open strConnect
objRec.Open "Titles",strConnect,adOpenStatic,adLockReadOnly,adCmdTable
objRec.MoveFirst
Response.Write CreateTable(objRec)

found=0
CheckISBN=Request.Form("chkISBN")
CheckTitle=Request.Form("chkTitle")
CheckAuthor=Request.Form("chkAuthor")

SearchString=Request.Form("txtSearch")

Set objConn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set objRec=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")

objConn.Open strConnect

objRec.Open "Titles",strConnect,adOpenStatic,adLockReadOnly,adCmdtable
objRec.MoveFirst

If CheckISBN = "ByISBN" Then
objRec.Find "ISBN= '"& Request.Form("txtSearch") & "'"

If Not objRec.EOF Then
found=1
Response.Write objRec("ISBN")
Response.Write "&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;"
Response.Write objRec("Price")
Response.Write "&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;"
Response.Write objRec("Title") & "<BR>"
End if
End if

If CheckTitle = "ByTitle" Then
objRec.Find "Title= '"& Request.Form("txtSearch") & "'"

If Not objRec.EOF Then
found=1
Response.Write objRec("ISBN")
Response.Write "&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;"
Response.Write objRec("Price")
Response.Write "&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;"
Response.Write objRec("Title") & "<BR>"
End if
End if

If CheckAuthor = "ByAuthor" Then
objRec.Filter = "Author= '"& Request.Form("txtSearch") & "'"

While Not objRec.EOF
If objRec("Author") = SearchString Then
found=1
Response.Write objRec("ISBN")
Response.Write "&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;"
Response.Write objRec("Price")
Response.Write "&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;"
Response.Write objRec("Title") & "<BR>"
End if

objRec.MoveNext
Wend
If found=0 Then
Response.Write "Record Not Found"
End if
End if

objRec.Close
objConn.Close
Set objRec=Nothing
Set objConn=Nothing

</BODY>
</HTML>

Code:
BOOKS.INC file
Code:
<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>Location specific records in a database, with DSN and Active
Server Pages </TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<%
strConnect = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\inetpub\wwwroot\K_Orman\Books.mdb;"
%>

</BODY>
</HTML>

Code:
BOOKS.HTML file
<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE> Location Specifc Records - Active Server Pages, Connecting to
DSN - PART 3</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<FORM NAME="frmsearch" ACTION="Books.asp" METHOD="Post">

<H3> Please enter the Title, the Author, or the ISBN number of the
book(s) you wish to search for: </H3>

<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="txtSearch"><BR>

Search by: <BR>

<INPUT TYPE="checkbox" NAME="chkTitle" VALUE="ByTitle"> Title <BR>
<INPUT TYPE="checkbox" NAME="chkAuthor" VALUE="ByAuthor"> Author <BR>
<INPUT TYPE="checkbox" NAME="chkISBN" VALUE="ByISBN"> ISBN
<BR><BR><BR>
<INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="cmdSearch" VALUE="Search"><BR>
<INPUT TYPE="Reset" NAME="cmdreset" VALUE="Reset">
</FORM>

</BODY>
</HTML>
[/code]

Code:
CREATETABLE.asp file
Code:
<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE> Active Server Pages - Data Name Source </TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<%
Function CreateTable(objRecordset)

Dim fldField
Dim strTable

strTable = "<TABLE BORDER=2>" & "<TR ALIGN=CENTER>"

For Each fldField in objRecordset.Fields
strTable = strTable & "<TD>" & fldField.Name & "</TD>"
Next

strTable = strTable & "</TR>"

While not objRecordset.EOF
strTable = strTable & "<TR ALIGN=CENTER>"

For Each fldField in objRecordset.Fields
strTable= strTable & "<TD>" & fldField.Value & "</TD>"
Next

strTable= strTable & "</TR>"
objRecordset.MoveNext

Wend

strTable = strTable & "</TABLE>"

CreateTable = strTable

End Function

%>

</BODY>
</HTML>

[/quote][/code] THANK YOU SO MUCH.....

kaeli

I am having great difficulty in these asp scripts, using VBscript and
JavaScript.

I didn't see any javascript.
But, I'm pretty okey-dokey with VBScript, so...
I have 4 files that all need to be linked together.

My problem is this: I cannot get the script in the Books.asp file to
only bring up certain information pertaining to that in my search box
from the "Books.html" file. What happens, is a) I get a error message
when I try and debug it or b) the full table comes up.

HELP !

My guess is that you're not getting the search string you think you are.
CheckISBN=Request.Form("chkISBN")
CheckTitle=Request.Form("chkTitle")
CheckAuthor=Request.Form("chkAuthor")

Write these to output with a Request.Write and end the page there (test
page if you want).
I bet they don't match
If CheckISBN = "ByISBN" Then

that sort of thing.

I bet you get a one or a true. That is, CheckISBN will either be "1" or
"true" which would completely mess up your query and cause the selection
of all records.
Checkboxes get passed as true/false, I think...
like chkISBN=true in the query string.

Just change the method of the form to get and look at the URL to see if
you don't want to write the stuff on the page.

Trvl Orm

Thanks Kaeli,

You probably guessed that I'm new at this vbscripting code thing - so
would you please reply with the correct code to the specific file that
needs it. Or send me a e-mail.

I'm a bit lost in your reply.

Thanks.

kaeli

Thanks Kaeli,

You probably guessed that I'm new at this vbscripting code thing - so
would you please reply with the correct code to the specific file that
needs it. Or send me a e-mail.

I'm a bit lost in your reply.

Okay, I did a little check. My idea was not what was causing the
problem. But it was something similar.
Your search string is empty. For some reason,
SearchString=Request.Form("txtSearch")
is returning a blank. I don't know why, since it shows in the URL when I
do a GET and from POST when I loop through all form elements (see test
file).

This smacks of a school assignment, so you may want to ask your teacher.
The following is a test I did to see what the form was submitting. Run
it and you'll see what's wrong. I don't know if it's a server thing or
what. I've never seen this problem with unencoded forms. I gotta go home
now, so you won't see a reply from me 'til Monday.

test.asp
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> Location Specifc Records - Active Server Pages, Connecting to
DSN - PART 3</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FORM NAME="frmsearch" ACTION="test1.asp" METHOD="post">
<H3> Please enter the Title, the Author, or the ISBN number of the
book(s) you wish to search for: </H3>
<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="txtSearch"><BR>
Search by: <BR>
<INPUT TYPE="checkbox" NAME="chkTitle" VALUE="ByTitle"> Title <BR>
<INPUT TYPE="checkbox" NAME="chkAuthor" VALUE="ByAuthor"> Author <BR>
<INPUT TYPE="checkbox" NAME="chkISBN" VALUE="ByISBN"> ISBN
<BR><BR><BR>
<INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="cmdSearch" VALUE="Search"><BR>
<INPUT TYPE="Reset" NAME="cmdreset" VALUE="Reset">
</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

test1.asp
<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

CheckISBN=<%= Request.Form("chkISBN") %>
CheckTitle=<%= Request.Form("chkTitle") %>
CheckAuthor=<%= Request.Form("chkAuthor") %>
SearchString=<% Request.Form("txtSearch") %>
<%
Dim f
For Each f In Request.Form
Response.Write f & " = "