ASP.NET 2.0, Sitemaps, and Querystrings

thogek

We've been working with the ASP.NET 2.0 sitemap functionality, and one
problem we're currently having is a need to be able to generate a
web.sitemap file that includes URLs containing querystring data.
Unfortunately, the presence of querystrings within the URLs in the
nodes of a sitemap file seems to break the whole sitemap navigation
functionality.

I don't have the specific examples or error message in front of me
(although I can get 'em if needed), but... Has anyone else worked with
sitemap URLs with querystrings in ASP.NET 2.0 and seen this sort of
problem, and/or found out how to get around it, or at least know why it
happens?

Oh, and we're currently working with the Beta 2 release of .NET, VS,
and TFS, awaiting the November RTM to upgrade the lot of 'em. If this
is a Beta 2 issue that's been corrected in subsequent releases, we'd
appreciate knowing that, as well.

Thanks.

- Tom Kiefer

clintonG

Please check the MSDN Product Feedback Center [1] where these issues have
been reported. If it has been recorded already Microsoft will have provided
some type of response. Then return here to let us all know if you found this
issue reported yet. Right?

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

[1] http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/ProductFeedback/Default.aspx

thogek

clintonG said:
Please check the MSDN Product Feedback Center [1] where these issues have
been reported...

Clinton,
Yes, I am familiar with the MSDN Product Feedback Center (I've found
and posted issues and suggestions there before), and did find one
message there that seemed to suggest that URLs with querystrings should
be usable in sitemap nodes. (Someone was having trouble getting such
to work, but that was because he wasn't URL-encoding the ampersands
within the sitemap XML, which isn't the problem we're having now.) But
nothing else that seemed relevant. Thus, I next posted the question
here, in case anyone else reading might have had such problems, and
will likely post in the Product Feedback Center, as well.

- Tom Kiefer

clintonG

Well Tom, if you have access to the MSDN Subscriber downloads stay up really
late tonight and download ASP.NET 2.0 which began shipping to subscribers
sometime today. That's one way to find out :)

--

clintonG said:
Well Tom, if you have access to the MSDN Subscriber downloads stay up really
late tonight and download ASP.NET 2.0 which began shipping to subscribers
sometime today. That's one way to find out :)

We'll be starting just that sort of testing about a lot of things .NET
2.0 very shortly. If this one (or any of our other current issues)
turns out to be just a beta 2 bug, we'll find that out soon enough. Of
course, that won't mean we'll have it instantly fixed, as migrating
several in-motion inter-related .NET 2.0 Beta 2 projects all using a
TFS Beta 2 implementation to usage of the RC/RTM versions is going to
be a bit less trivial...

This is going to be... er... fun. :)

In the meantime, I guess we keep poking at prodding at why our SiteMap
doesn't like querystrings...

- Tom Kiefer

Danny Tuppeny

clintonG said:
Well Tom, if you have access to the MSDN Subscriber downloads stay up
really late tonight and download ASP.NET 2.0 which began shipping to
subscribers sometime today. That's one way to find out :)

Grrrr.!! Do non-"MSDN Subscribers" have to wait until 7th Nov, or will it
likely be around before?

Anyone know of VWD will be available then too, or if it's likely to be after
7th Nov?

I need to re-format my laptop, and when that ships would be an ideal time to
do it! :)

Juan T. Llibre

re:
But will this screw up VWD beta 2? :-\

It certainly will.

You cannot install Beta 2 and the release version side-by-side.

You can run 1.1 and any v 2.0 ( including any beta ) side-by-side,
but there's a restraint which prevents running two v 2 versions concurrently.

IOW, you'd have to remove Beta 2 before you can install the Release,
and that will -definitely- "screw up" VWD beta 2.

Danny Tuppeny

Juan T. Llibre said:
IOW, you'd have to remove Beta 2 before you can install the Release,
and that will -definitely- "screw up" VWD beta 2.

Bummer :(

Ah well, guess I'll have to wait to install this then!

Anyone know if VWD is likely to be available before, on or after Nov 7th?
It's not a big deal for me, but the person working on a website with me
wants to help, and I told him he may as well wait till final release rather
than pollute his machine with betas..! :eek:(

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Anyone know if VWD is likely to be available before, on or after Nov 7th?

It's available right now, if you have an MSDN subscription.
Just go to MSDN Subscriber Downloads.

If you don't have an MSDN Subscription, the announced launch date is Nov. 7.

I don't know how long after that your local retailer will have it, though.
Probably the big online retailers will have it, with relatively short delivery dates.

Amazon is listing it for only $39.99 :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BHQ5UQ/qid=1130599167/
to be released on November 28.

Danny Tuppeny

Juan T. Llibre said:
It's available right now, if you have an MSDN subscription.
Just go to MSDN Subscriber Downloads.

If you don't have an MSDN Subscription, the announced launch date is Nov.
7.

Cool :)

But no, I don't have an MSDN subscription :(
We have the ActionPack, but that's cheap, and I suspect doesn't mean I can
get it now :-(

I don't know how long after that your local retailer will have it, though.
Probably the big online retailers will have it, with relatively short
delivery dates.

Amazon is listing it for only $39.99 :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000BHQ5UQ/qid=1130599167/
to be released on November 28.

So I can't just download it from MS on the 7th and pay online? :eek:((