asp.net 2.0 weird error

Howard

I've been trying to fix this for a week now.
I tried to migrate my asp.net 1.1 web apps to 2.0. No code changes, complied
fine. the 2.0 version even worked on my dev machine (windows xp)
But when I run it on my production server (windows 2003) I get this error.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Instance failure.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Instance failure.

[InvalidOperationException: Instance failure.]
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner,
Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String
protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean
encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection
owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +684031
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword,
Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity
identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String
newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
+170
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection
owningConnection) +359
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection
owningObject) +424
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection
owningObject) +66
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningObject) +496
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection) +82
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111

I tried to search on google, found this but no answer
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=599326

I know my connectstring is correct. I tried both sql server 2000 and 2005.
same exact error. the sql server serivce runs on the nt authority/network
service account.

this makes no sense at all
please help,

Howard