Error using Login control ASP.NET App_Data Folder

aboutjav.com

Hi,

I am writing a login functionality for my asp.net 2.0 website. I used
the Login control from the visual studio tool panel and drag it over
to my asp.net webpage. In my development pc, it works without any
error. I noticed that it creates the following in my App_Data folder

MyWebSiteName_log.LDF
MyWebSiteName.mdf
ASPNETDB.MDF
aspnetdb_log.ldf

When I migrate the App_Data folder over to the lunarpage domain and
test the login feature again, I get the following message. Any help is
greatly appreciated for this beginner.

Thanks for reading my post..

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has
occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact
that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a
connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this
failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL
Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network
Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
exception, Boolean breakConnection) +800131

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
stateObj) +186
System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo,
SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout,
Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean
integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject) +737554

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo
serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64
timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject) +114

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String
host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance,
SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions,
Int64 timerStart) +421

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection
owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String
newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +181

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity
identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo,
String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean
redirectedUserInstance) +173

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool,
DbConnection owningConnection) +133

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
+30
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection
owningObject) +424

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection
owningObject) +66

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningObject) +494

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection) +82

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(HttpContext context,
Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String
connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197

System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPasswordWithFormat(String
username, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Int32& status, String&
password, Int32& passwordFormat, String& passwordSalt, Int32&
failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32& failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount,
Boolean& isApproved, DateTime& lastLoginDate, DateTime&
lastActivityDate) +1121
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String
username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate,
Boolean failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +105
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String
username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate,
Boolean failIfNotApproved) +42
System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String
username, String password) +83

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs
e) +160
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +105
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source,
EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs
args) +35
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String
eventArgument) +163

eventArgument) +7
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
+33
+1746

bruce barker

the login control is trying to connect to a sqlserver on the webserver
and attach the database in the app_data folder. check you provider for
connection setting required for their sqlserver, and if you have attach
permission.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

[...]

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

This is an extremely common problem that derives basically from the fact that
the UserInstance type of connection string is for SQLEXPRESS only and is
designed to work on localhost and is really intended only for development
purposes.

In production, one would want to attach the database MDF/LDF files using SQL
Server Management Studio (or T-SQL commands) and use a standard connection
string of the form
server=(local);database=mydatabase;uid=username;pwd=password

-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

[...]

How do I attach the .mdf and .ldf with the SQL Server Management
Studio Express?
Do I attached all 4 files?

MyWebSiteName_log.LDF
MyWebSiteName.mdf
ASPNETDB.MDF
aspnetdb_log.ldf

When I click on my database node and expand, I see the task\Detach...
No Attach.

Currently, In production, I can access my sql server database. If I
understand correctly,
I use the same connection string and attach the mdf database and the
Login control
should work as well as the Register control. correct?

Thanks...

bkirkman56

I've had this issue on a couple different web sites that use the
ASPNETDB.mdf SQL Express DB while I am using SQL Server 2005 (Don't have SQL
Express installed on my development machine).

I've successfully gotten around it by adding the following to my websites
root web.config:

<connectionStrings>
<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data
Source='sqlservername';AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|ASPNETDB.mdf;Integrated Security=False; User Instance=false;uid='uid';pwd='pwd '"/>
</connectionStrings>

So in the above connection string you would replace 'sqlservername' with
your sql server name and 'uid' with a valid userid and 'pwd' with a valid
password. Remember not to include the single quotes in the string and in my
case I used a SQL Server Admin uid and pwd. I believe you have to use ad
admin id so you can execute the attachdbfilename successfully.