ASP.NET 2005 CompositeControl Class - Nesting

Electric Co.

Hello,

I have two questions:

1.) How successfully does ASP.NET 2005 handle custom composite controls
nested inside
of custom composite controls?

For example:

Cntrl_A inherits from CompositeControl and does all sorts of neat stuff

Cntrl_B also inherits from CompositeControl and has two instances of
Cntrl_A

ie.

Controls.Clear()

cntrl_A1= New Cntrl_A()
cntrl_A1.ID = "FirstControl"
cntrl_A2= New Cntrl_A()
cntrl_A2.ID = "SecondControl"

Me.Controls.Add(cntrl_A1)
Me.Controls.Add(cntrl_A2.)
End Sub

Thinking MicroSoft may have troubles with postbacks and validations
if controls get nested too deep. If not then I might need to upgrade.

2.) Could I create a custom server control in 2005 in order to leverage
the CompositeControl base class and then use that control in 2003?
(fingers crossed but guessing aboslutely not)

Thanx in advance.

Marina Levit [MVP]

1. I know of no restrictions in terms of controls. I would be surprised if
there were. If the ancestor for all the controls is implemented correctly,
then it shouldn't matter how many levels you nest
2. No. You cannot run code compiled under 2.0 on an earlier version of .NET.
It would be expecting the earlier version of .NET to be 'future compatible'
with version of .NET before they even came out. Not possible.

Teemu Keiski

Hello,

1) Remember that when working with current set of controls like databound
etc ones, you already have deeper control hierarchies. Does it work or not
depends really on what the control does, basically Framework doesn't cause
any limits to this.

2) No. CompositeControl base class is v2.0 specific. However, nothing
prevents you from writing CompsoiteControl class in v1.x. It's essentially
control which

- implements INamingContainer interface
- overrides Controls property with call to EnsureChildControls and then
returns base.Controls
- creates and adds child controls in CreateChlidControls
- has CompositeControlDesigner associated (which also is v2-specific but can
be written in v1.x) , see example here:
http://www.dotnetmonster.com/Uwe/Fo...ls-building/944/CreateChildControls-or-Render