ASP.NET and Frontpage questions

David

The web developer environment under VS is a pain! I want to use
Frontpage, but will Frontpage handle the code portion of asp.net or
just the HTML? Also, if you develop ASP.NET apps with Frontpage, do
you need the VS installed on the same machine?

Also, are there other 3rd party IDEs that work well with asp.net? The
only ones I have seen appear to be more PHP/Linux centric.

Thanks

DotNet Coder

Hi David,

FrontPage2003 does support ASP.NET, but it is pitiful compared to VS.NET and
you would need to compile using a command line compiler to compile your
site. Also, FP2003 does not have support for creating proxy stubs for Web
Services, web control development, and other things that are essential to
devolping an enterprise ASP.NET application. IMHO, I would develop the front
end GUI using a HTML development app and then import that into VS.NET.

While you can develop ASP.NET applications using FrontPage, you do not need
to have VS.NET installed on the same machine, but you do need to have the
..NET SDK to be able to use the command line compilers.

As for alternatives to VS.NET, check out SharpDevelop
(http://www.icsharpcode.net/) and WebMatrix
(http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default.aspx?tabIndex=4&tabId=46). Both are
free.

HTH,
~d

Kevin Spencer

Yes, you can develop ASP.Net apps with FrontPage. But if your complaint is
that the HTML designer in Visual Stuio.Net is a pain, I wouldn't abandon it
yet. What I do is to use FrontPage to develop my HTML, copy and paste it
into the VS.Net IDE< and do my programming in VS.Net. FrontPage doesn't have
any debugging tools for ASP.Net.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer