Asp.Net and SQL Report ?

WJ

Is it possible to have a web form (aspx) to

1. Pass a parameter input from a TextBox control to SQL Report without
letting the report itself asks for it ?

2. Can I put the report inside my website instead of putting it in
SQL/Report folder on my server and have the aspx form to call it with
parameter ?

Thanks for your help !

John

Scott Allen

Hi John:

What package are you using exactly? SQL Server Reporting Services
2000, 2005, or something else?

WJ

Scott Allen said:
Hi John:

What package are you using exactly? SQL Server Reporting Services
2000, 2005, or something else?

Scott, thanks for your reply.

1. For OS, SQL and IIS: I am using SQ/Server 2000 Standard on Win2k3
Standard with IIS-6. On client, a Windows XP Pro and VS.Net 2003. I will not
be able to get to SQL/2005 and VS.Net 2005 until late next year.

2. For SQL Reporting Service (SQL/RS): I am using SQL/RS package built for
SQL/2000 only. This SQL/RS came with my SQL server license.

*At present, I can use VS.Net IDE 2k3 to design a report using SQL/RS. It
works fine but I need to know how to pass data to a report at runtime
without users involve (running a SQL/RS report behind the scene based on
what user inputs on a regular aspx page).

John

Scott Allen

Scott, thanks for your reply.

1. For OS, SQL and IIS: I am using SQ/Server 2000 Standard on Win2k3
Standard with IIS-6. On client, a Windows XP Pro and VS.Net 2003. I will not
be able to get to SQL/2005 and VS.Net 2005 until late next year.

2. For SQL Reporting Service (SQL/RS): I am using SQL/RS package built for
SQL/2000 only. This SQL/RS came with my SQL server license.

*At present, I can use VS.Net IDE 2k3 to design a report using SQL/RS. It
works fine but I need to know how to pass data to a report at runtime
without users involve (running a SQL/RS report behind the scene based on
what user inputs on a regular aspx page).

Well, one easy way to do this is through URL access. With URL access
you pass parameters in the query string to the report.

So, if I use something like:

http://reportserver/reports/salesreport?rc:Command=Render&Region=Northwest

Then I'm telling the report server to render the SalesReport and I'm
passing a value of Northwest for the Region parameter.