ASP.NET application more than 200MB virtual memory

Ethan Chan

I have recently been deploying a asp.net extranet application.

The asp.net worker process starts off with 30MB virtual memory and then upon
serving a few pages, the memory usage increases to a WHOOPIN! 200MB and
eventully the asp.net process restarts at 300MB and my application becomes
"unavailable" with my sessions being destroyed.

Is there an explanation why the asp.net process uses that much memory?

After i have logged out of my application and closed the browser, the memory
usage does not decrease?

Is this due to the Compiler keeping the cache of the application?

Is there anyway i tune the performance and find the memory leak?

Tel : [65] 6225 1308 Fax : [65] 6225 1931 www.active8.com.sg

Jéjé

do you access databases? do you close your connections?
do you add something in cache/session?
do you destroy your objects?

Ethan Chan

I am using Castle Proxy as an object factory to serve objects and store them
in an object pool for retrieval.

Other than that, our application uses very little session data, more for the
forms authentication.

Database:
Access MySQL database using nHibernate which manages the database pooling.

Ethan Chan said:
I have recently been deploying a asp.net extranet application.

The asp.net worker process starts off with 30MB virtual memory and then
upon serving a few pages, the memory usage increases to a WHOOPIN! 200MB
and eventully the asp.net process restarts at 300MB and my application
becomes "unavailable" with my sessions being destroyed.

Is there an explanation why the asp.net process uses that much memory?

After i have logged out of my application and closed the browser, the
memory usage does not decrease?

Is this due to the Compiler keeping the cache of the application?

Is there anyway i tune the performance and find the memory leak?

Tel : [65] 6225 1308 Fax : [65] 6225 1931 www.active8.com.sg

Jéjé

mmm...

its difficult to isolate the problem from my point of view ;-)

have you try to open 1 page only and refresh it a lot of time while
measuring the memory usage?

how many memory is installed on the server?
have you try to call the GC.Collect() method to purge the memory?

I have found a post regarding the usage of Strings instead-of StringBuilder
using strings can cause huge memory usage, changing it to stringbuilders can
help you.

Ethan Chan said:
I have recently been deploying a asp.net extranet application.

The asp.net worker process starts off with 30MB virtual memory and then
upon serving a few pages, the memory usage increases to a WHOOPIN! 200MB
and eventully the asp.net process restarts at 300MB and my application
becomes "unavailable" with my sessions being destroyed.

Is there an explanation why the asp.net process uses that much memory?

After i have logged out of my application and closed the browser, the
memory usage does not decrease?

Is this due to the Compiler keeping the cache of the application?

Is there anyway i tune the performance and find the memory leak?

Tel : [65] 6225 1308 Fax : [65] 6225 1931 www.active8.com.sg

Jéjé

also try this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenethowto13.asp

the CLR Profiler...
this utility will scan the memory usage for you