ASP.NET J#, C# and VB

Kevin Spencer

I would pick the one I was most familiar with. If you could have a
conversation in any human language, which one would you choose, and why?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Software Composer
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

The shortest distance between 2 points is a curve.

Mark Rae

I would pick the one I was most familiar with. If you could have a
conversation in any human language, which one would you choose, and why?

In a business context, the one which would earn me the most money!

Same argument for .NET languages, actually... ;-)

Karl Seguin [MVP]

Here a C# developer makes more than a VB.NET developer. I'd likely make that
major point in my decision making process.

Otherwise, what's your background? VB, ASP, than go VB.NET..else go C#.

Karl

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I recommend instant C# and instant VB for converting between the language.
Very close code rewrite. I keep a copy handy because me and VB aren't good
friends at all.
--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

Jon Paal

C# developers make more money for the same job because it takes them twice as long as a VB developer to do it...

Kevin Spencer

Well, Mark, in the context of the question, which indicated a lack of
experience, I was thinking along the lines of what language would get the
person up and learning the Framework as quickly as possible. The real
challenge of .Net programming is not language, but the Framework itself, the
class libraries and the programming model. Once you've learned the Framework
in one language, it is relatively easy to add another to your tool box.

I wouldn't argue that C# is the one that looks best on a resume, for reasons
I would rather avoid discussing. And I personally prefer it.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Software Composer
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

The shortest distance between 2 points is a curve.

Kevin Spencer

There are a number of reasons why C# developers make more money. And it
simply is not true that VB.Net is more RAD than C#. It was certainly true of
VB and C++, but not with VB.Net and C#.

--

Jon Paal said:
C# developers make more money for the same job because it takes them twice
as long as a VB developer to do it...

"Karl Seguin [MVP]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

Mark Rae

Well, Mark, in the context of the question, which indicated a lack of
experience, I was thinking along the lines of what language would get the
person up and learning the Framework as quickly as possible. The real
challenge of .Net programming is not language, but the Framework itself,
the class libraries and the programming model. Once you've learned the
Framework in one language, it is relatively easy to add another to your
tool box.

I wouldn't argue that C# is the one that looks best on a resume, for
reasons I would rather avoid discussing. And I personally prefer it.

Agreed 100%

Ralph

Has anyone done some kind of benchmark comparing the actually amount of code
to do the same thing in vb vs. c#? It seems and no I haven;t actually
counted that the argument every vb person gives is that its quicker to code
in vb. I have to use both and I for one don't find that to be true.
Also I seem to find that it takes a bit more typing to do the same things in
vb as in c#.

Guest

Howdy,

I definitely agree, plus the fact vb programmers way of solving problems is
(usually) horrible, and causes problems in the future. I've seen many
applications and the worst of them were made by vb/vb.net coders (spaghetti,
everything based on strings, non-reusable code, no components, data) I'm not
saying it's always the case, but from my experience, good programmers come
from C++/Java, they are able to see and understand more things than an averge
vb coder.

Karl Seguin [MVP]

A bad programmer in any language will write bad code. Playing the devil's
advocate..

The worst code I've seen was in assembly.

Most security vulnerability are written by C, C++ developers.

The slowest applications are written in Java.

The counterpoint I'm obviously making, especially with regards to C++, is
that they don't necessarily understand more things, they NEED to understand
more, and when they don't, then you're in deep shit. Yes, I wish every VB
programmer understood:

malloc(sizeof(char) * 1024);

but between having only 1 VB programmer who understands it, and only 1 C
programmer who doesn't...I'll take the VB programmers every day of the week.

I've seen as many C# applications swallow exceptions as I've seen VB apps
use On error Resume next as I've seen Java apps totally misuse checked
exceptions.

Karl