ASP.NET MVC - Add View: View Data Class

RichB

When working with and ASP.NET MVC application, I have selected to Add a View
for return as part of a controller class method. Within the dialogue is a
"Create a strongly-typed view" checkbox and selection of a view data class.

What classes are populated to the view data class dropdown?

I ask as I have created an application (similar to nerddinners.com) and have
created a Linq to SQL class for Events, and another for Venues. In this case
the list contains the Events class, but not the Venue.

Any advice on why this might be occurring?

Thanks, Richard

RichB

I would still like to understand what is happening here, however the list
now appears to be populating correctly. I Created a view and manually
changed
Inherits="System.Web.Mvc.ViewPage"

Inherits="System.Web.Mvc.ViewPage<EventsManager.Models.Venue>" %>

immediately after doing this the drop down was populated with all of the
classes related to my Venues Linq to Sql class.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,
Richard

Steven Cheng

Hi Richard,

As for the MVC page's "Add strong-typed view", the drop down should be able
to list all the existing public model classes(such as LINQ generated one or
other custom classes) in the same project. One thing worth notice is that
when you add some new classes(LINQ class or custom class), it may not be
precompiled by the IDE yet so that the MVC dropdown may still haven't been
able to find them. You can try "save all files in the project" and perform
a "rebuild" on the entire project to make sure all those classes got
precompiled.

I've also had a test on my side. When I add a custom class into the MVC
project and try create a strong-typed view, the dropdown doesn't list my
class, after perform a rebuild the class appears.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

--------------------

Steven Cheng

Hi Richard,

Just some additional updates on this. After some debugging against the VS
IDE(with MVC web project), I found that the MVC controller's "AddView"
dialog will query available model classes via the following method:

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Mvc.MvcAddViewDialog.GetTypes

and Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Mvc.MvcAddViewDialog type is defined in the
following assembly(installed with MVC project template):

Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Extensions, Version=9.0.0.0

which resides in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\Common7\IDE folder. You can have a look at the code there for the
codelogic VS uses to get available model types.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

RichB

Thanks Steven,

Makes absolute sense now. I think that when I added the view manually I ran
the app to check it which obviously built it, solving the problem.

I've tested this now and all is fine, I'll have a look at the GetTypes code
when I get chance.

Thanks,
Richard

Steven Cheng

Thanks for your followup Richard,

I'm glad that you've also figured out it. If you have interests, you can
use reflector to inspect the assembly/class I mentioned which contains the
visual studio design-time code for the "AddViewDialog".

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

--------------------
<ueuDRd#[email protected]>

Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Same Problem - Rebuild All didn't fix

I have a similar problem with the "Add View" however, it is abit different.

For some reason (probably something that I did...) when I go to Add View and select "Create a strongly-typed view" I don't see any of my public classes listed. I'm using Ninject and all of the classes for Ninject appear.

The strange thing is that 30 minutes ago I added a new view that had all my classes listed.

I'm using LINQ TO SQL and I deleted the dbml file and recreated, yet the classes still do not appear. I also did a clean, rebuild all, closed the project and reopened it - the classes won't appear.

If I create a Empty view with the View Data Class typed in it will create a view and I can access the methods in the view.

Any ideas?

Only thing I haven't tried is a reboot which I'm going to try now.

Thanks

Dan

Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Resolved

Looks like this was just a cacheing issue or something like that. Once I closed all of my VS2008 windows and reopened the project the Add View works again.