ASP.NET Performance

Stelios Skiathitis

I've got an aspx page which registers 8 custom user controls.
Depending on the "go" request.querystring variable it determines which of
the eight controls will be shown.
When the page is accessed through internet it loads immediately (< 2 sec)
When it is accessed through the web or through vpn connection it takes about
30 secs to display!!!
I can't disable viewstate in neither controls for logical reasons. Viewstate
size isn't more than 100 KB
Debug and tracing are disabled. Internet connection is ok.
I do not use any caching method.
Is there away to fix up performance? Why do we experience such a great
response time?

Stelios Skiathitis

The following applies for intranet not internet

When the page is accessed through internet it loads immediately (< 2 sec)

Kiran

Hi,

When you access through the VPN, your database(SQL Server) might me on the
other end. I think this is the reason for that.

when you access through internet, the code and database are in the same
server.

Kiran

snthampi

I don't see anything wrong with your asp.net page from your
explanation.

When you are accessing through intranet, you do not have any bandwidth
limitations, ie you are on your local network. But when you are
accessing through either internet or vpn, you are limited by the
bandwidth available from both ends. You may want to talk to your
networking guys.