Asp.net Portal start kit

Guest

I have a problem with this. I installed it in my computer to modify it, but
when I try to save the configuration file(xml file) the server returned an
error that say that I dont have permissions to write in the server. How i can
write file in the server?.

Guest

that is the problem this file have read and write attributess and it work in
the original virtual directory (install from microsoft) but in my virtual
directory dont.

Guest

The other virtual dir is in my computer. It created by intallation of the
portal start kit.
I have read/write in my file of my virtual directory as same as portal start
kit have it.

Juan T. Llibre

The file may be locked as a result of a previous edit,
or even because of it being called by a user.

You may have to stop the Application
before you can replace the file.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Guest

Oh.I am Sorry let me explain.
I downloaded the portal start kit from asp.net and then i installed it in
my computer(I will named "original portal" from now).
It work perfectly. Then I copied all files in another virtual directory to
make someones modifications to create my own portal (I will named "my
portal").
The problem is that the portal use a xml file for its configuration and in
the original portal I can modified it, but in my portal I can't do it.
Other thing is that my portal have the same permissions that original portal
and the xml file in original portal have read/write permissions as same as my
xml file in my portal have it.

I hope that you can read my bad english

Juan T. Llibre

Did you "install" the portal to the new location
or did you simply copy the files ?

Usually, you need to install the portal to the new location,
with a different virtual name, to prevent the possibility
of clashes with the first portal's virtual settings.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Guest

The problem is that the application is who I want to modify the file, that I
want to know is because the installed application start kit can write the
file and my copy of the portal in a difrent directory don't can. why?.

Guest

That I want to know is why the intalled portal application start kit can
write the change in the xml config file and my copy in a diferent directory
don't can.
I sure that both virtual directories have the same attributess in the server.

Juan T. Llibre

From my previous reply :

Did you "install" the portal to the new location
or did you simply copy the files ?

Usually, you need to install the portal to the new location,
with a different virtual name, to prevent the possibility
of clashes with the first portal's virtual settings.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Guest

Well First I installed the portal then copied the files in a diferent
directory y created a virtual directory for my copy

Juan T. Llibre

If you did that, you're bound to have problems.

For example, both of the portal you have now will be
using the same database for everything they do,
so you are going to have a lot of conflicting data.

I'd recommend that you delete the virtual directory
you created for the site you copied and delete the
directory where you copied it afterwards.

Then, reinstall the second portal, using the Portal kit
setup, and ( if my memory serves me right ) use a
different name for the 2nd portal's database.

I honestly don't remember if you can do that
( use a different name for the portal's database )
but most MS sample applications allow you to do that.

Make sure you use a different virtual directory name, too.

Then, and only then, will you not have conflicts
between your first portal and your second portal.

Good luck!

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Guest

Well. I have direfents database for the portals.
My problem is NOT conflict with the portals.
My problem is that I CAN NOT MODIFY A FILE(with read/write permissions) IN
MY WEB SERVER USING A WEB APPLICATION BECAUSE MY SERVER SAY THAT I NOT
HAVE PERMISSIONS TO DO THAT.

Juan T. Llibre

Why are you YELLING, Juan ?

Look, Juan, when applications are setup
using the application setup files, there may
be quite a few settings which are configured
and the developer never knows about them.

It's illogical that, if it's your own server ( like you
said it is ), you would be able to edit one file
but not edit the other one, unless the permissions
for the second one have been screwed up.

Since the portal application which runs OK and allows
you to edit the config.xml file is the one you setup using
the application's setup procedure, and the portal which
is giving you trouble is the one which you setup manually,
it makes sense to think that the problem is related to
the setup procedure you followed with the 2nd portal.

I know that you can run multiple copies of the
Starter Portal Kit, if you follow the setup instructions.

Why don't you want to setup the 2nd Portal
using the Starter Kit setup procedure ?

At least, that would eliminate a few possible
reasons for the problem you're having.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Guest

OH, I am sorry.
The answer to your question is very simple.
I am Programmer, I use a computer to programmer and then install the program
in another machine. I have to resolve this problem manually because I don't
need the original portal. I want to customize the portal start kit to create
a new portal and then take the new portal and install it in another(s)
server(s).

Juan T. Llibre

OK.

Next thing...

Are you using Visual Studio ?

If you are, it's a snap to take the VS Starter Kit
files. modify them in whichever way you want to,
and then create a Deployment Package to distribute
to your customers.

If you are not using Visual Studio, it's a little more
complicated than that.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP

Guest

Thank for all I think that it will help me.
But I can belive that Microsoft make things in your "Examples applications"
that nobody can make.
I think that they must change the name of "Start Kit" to "Make you crazy
kit".

Thank you.