asp.net vs. open source approach

Bob Weiner

I am gettiner ready to start a project to create (yet another) social
networking site which will contain a mashup of local content, web services,
and open APIs. I want the ability to easily update, or let others update
components as they become available.

I am struggling now between choosing between asp.net and a fully open source
approach to the project.

What do I need to consider? Will I hit any limits (other than having to
host on IIS) by choosing asp.net? Insight's will be much appreicated.

Thanks, bob

Michael Nemtsev

How asp.net and open source relates to each other?
open source is a type of licencing for your application, but it doesnt
relate to development tools

u can use any commercial tools and libs, for open source apps

Bob Weiner

Yes, you guys are right. I do understand the difference between the
development environment and licensing model; I worded my question poorly.

The project I'll be working on is for research. Most of my content will
be contributed in the form of web parts (or something that can be
quickly converted to such) or mashed (is that a verb?) from the web
through publically available APIs.

Initially, I envisioned my site being built upon SharePoint because it
is a nice foundation for managing web parts and incorporating workflow.

A new idea came up today about creating our app as a portal to a set of
mashed-up public sites and doing as little development as possible.
That seemed like a good idea.

Upon later consideration, I had to ask myself, if we go this route, why
not go all the way and use linux, apache, mysql, javascript,
php/python/ruby/script-lang-dujour. One clear benefit is having free
reserach replicability (SharePoint is nice but it ain't free).

So, if my end users are all going to access my site via a web browser,
construct a web page from a web part gallery, which in turn use services
on the web then is there any advantage to purchasing Windows IIS,
SharePoint, Visual Studio, and the intractable number of CALs.

I hope this question is more clear to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your replies.
bob

Sharepoint is one thing, ASP.NET is another. I understand your hesitation
to go with Sharepoint because of cost issues. C# and ASP.NET, on the other
hand are essentially free and something very close to open source these
days. And Microsoft provides free Express tools of good quality to make
development easy for everyone.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,