ASP V2, Membership Beginner Question

Roger Stenson

Hi all
I have set off using the Create User and Login Control.
When I look at the Membership Table the UserID has a default format of
Unique
Identifier and the data value looks nothing like the values I keyed in.
How does the Login control in which the User Name as been entered relate tot
the Stored User ID. There does not seem to be a User Name field in my
Membership Table.
Roger Stenson

Stan

Hi all
I have set off using the Create User and Login Control.
When I look at the Membership Table the UserID  has a  default format of
Unique
Identifier and the data value looks nothing like the values I keyed in.
How does the Login control in which the User Name as been entered relate tot
the Stored User ID. There does not seem to be a User Name field in my
Membership Table.
Roger Stenson

Hi Roger

I am assuming here that you are using the default membership provider
for ASP.NET

The column named User ID in the database is not the 'User ID' that is
typed in at the login control. In fact there are two tables in the
database that contain data for each user. One named "aspnet_Members"
and the other "aspnet_Users". The aspnet_Users table has a column
"Username". Look at that one and you will see the names that are typed
in at the login control. The User ID field is in GUID format (Globally
Unique Identifier) which is generated by an algorithm such that
duplicates are very unlikely. They are used as the part of the primary
key for two the tables (in conjunction with application ID which is in
a similar format).

HTH

Roger Stenson

Thanks for your help.