aspnet_wp.exe caching and locking process

Greg

Hi,

I have a web service that calls an an assembly on a server. My client
calls the web service, the web service calls the assembly... very
straightforward.

I have noticed 2 things though that I cannot quite understand;

A) When my assembly throws an exception (that is handled and trickles
back down to the client) and my client goes to invoke another call...
the same error gets returned... it is as thought aspnet_wp.exe is
caching the response. I either have to blow away aspnet_wp.exe in
taskmgr or perform an IIS reset.

B) When I go to replace my assembly (for an upgrade or bug fix)
aspnet_wp.exe has a lock on the dlls. I then have to destroy the
aspnet_wp.exe process to replace my assemblies. I'm assuming this
affects the performance of my other applications running under the
aspnet_wp.exe process... so I don't really want to keep doing this.
Should the Garbage Collector not clean things up after they have not
been used. Is there anyway to interrogate the aspnet_wp.exe process
to see what locks it is holding (i.e., perhaps I have not closed out
some objects correctly).

Any information people have is welcome... I have tried looking for
articles but have not seen anything.

Greg

Latish Sehgal

If you are using IIS6 or greater, you can recycle the app pool instead
of recycling IIS.

As far as the cached error response is concerned, did you confirm if
the CacheDuration attribute is being used in the web method? Or
perhaps you might be storing the reponse from the assembly in the
cache?

You can try using ProcessExplorer (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/
sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx) to see what locks are
being held by aspnet_wp, but i think it might give only the name of
the locked assemblies.