assigning variables from list data

Chris Hare

I have a database query result (see code below). In PHP, I would have said

list(var1,var2,var) = $result

and each element in the list would be assigned to each of the named variables. I have my data coming out of the database, and I can see it is a list. so my question is, instead of having to do the variable assignment as I have it here, is there a way more like PHP or am I stuck with it?

import sqlite3 as sqlite

try:
print "connecting to disk db ..."
conn = sqlite.connect("netcomm.db")
except:
print "oops"

print "retrieving data"
cursor = conn.cursor()
cursor.execute('select * from net where NetNumber > 0')
list = cursor.fetchone()
print list
print len(list)
for item in list:
print item
netNumber = list[0]
netType = list[1]
netConditions = list[2]
netStartLocal = list[3]
NCS = list[4]
NCS1 = list[5]
RADAR = list[6]
NetFreq = list[7]
Repeater = list[8]
Notes = list[9]

Bruno Desthuilliers

Chris Hare a écrit :
I have a database query result (see code below). In PHP, I would have said

list(var1,var2,var) = $result

Other already answered on the Python equivalent. But there's an IMHO
better way, which is to use (if the DB-API connector provides it) a
DictCursor, that yields dicts instead of tuples.
import sqlite3 as sqlite

try:
print "connecting to disk db ..."
conn = sqlite.connect("netcomm.db")
except:
print "oops"

OT, but do yourself a favor and remove this try/except. Sorry to have to
say but it's about the most stupidiest error handling scheme you could
think of. Seriously.

Ask yourself : what will happens if sqlite.connect raises AND you don't
catch the exception ? Yes, the script will stop right here - which is
what you want anyway - AND you will have an error message giving you
informations about what went wrong, and a full traceback. IOW, you'll
have as much helpful debugging infos as possible at this point.

Now what will happen with your current code ? Instead of an informative
error message, you have a "oops". Well, really helps. Then your script
will go on, print "retrieving data", and you can bet your ass it'll
crash on the next line - "cursor = conn.cursor()", that is - with a very
less informative error message, and you'll wonder why.

Also, be warned that SysExit and KeyboardInterrupt are also exceptions.
The one you may NOT want to catch and dismiss.

To make a long story short:

1/ only catch exceptions you can *and* want to handle
2/ never assume anything about what caused the exception
3/ not exception handling is better than a wrong exception handling.

HTH

Aahz

cursor.execute('select * from net where NetNumber > 0')

Unless your table is guaranteed to never change layout, I suggest that
instead listing fields is a Good Idea:

cursor.execute('select netNumber, netType, .... from net where NetNumber > 0')

Then the tuple unpack suggested by other posters will never fail.