asynchronous and synchronous call between apartments

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by George2, Apr 5, 2008.

  1. George2

    George2

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello everyone,

    Once I thought all calls across COM apartments (not inside apartment) are all synchronous call, now after study re-entrancy problem, I think I am wrong, at least STA to MTA call is asynchronous.

    (Link to re-entrancy problem, http://www.codeproject.com/KB/COM/sta_issues.aspx)

    After some study, I can not find a conclusion whether the 4 types of calls are synchronous or asynchronous. Here is my study result, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong?

    1. STA --> STA, I think asynchronous;
    2. STA --> MTA, I think asynchronous;
    3. MTA --> STA, I think synchronous;
    4. MTA --> MTA, I think synchronous.