auto-discover RSS feed

John A Grandy

Apparently all that is necessary for an RSS feed reader to auto-discover an
RSS feed associated with a page received and rendered by the browser is to
include the following on the page :

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS Feed Test"
href="http://localhost/rss/rssfeedtest.rss" />
</head>

However, this is not working for me (the page is returned , but the feed is
not auto-discovered by a feed reader which discovers feeds on other page
just fine).

Does http://localhost/rss/rssfeedtest.rss have to pass RSS validation for it
to be discovered ?

http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi

That doesn't seem to make sense ...

What else could be going wrong ?

clintonG

I may be mistaken but I think this is only supported by IE7 at this time.
Perhaps other browsers too but it would be rare for other "readers" to
support this until their next revision cycles.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

John A Grandy

FireFox 1.5 auto-discovers availability of RSS feeds ... and if you click
the discovered icon it then adds the currently available feeds from that
provider as a drop-down list on the toolbar.

Active Web Reader also auto-discovers.