Background color <div> not within entire section

Maarten

Hi,

Recently I restarted some project I began quite some time ago and now I
am running into some difficulties, for me that is. What I have is one
is centered in the middle. The background colour of the body is one
colour and the <div> section is another. Somehow, when I assign a colour
to the <div> that colour is used only for some text which is used right
at the beginning but all the other elements within the <div> have the
background colour of the <body>, in Firefox that is because in Internet
Explorer this aspect is working fine. Now this is a little trick which
is being used in quite a few websites these days and when I take one of
them, such as webwereld.nl I can edit it and change the background
colour for the centered <div> section without too much problems,
however, I can't figure out why this isn't working in my own page (I
tried to use the same techniques for positioning the sections etc)

Can somebody please take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong. I
have put a simplified page at the bottom of this email and I have put it
online at: http://home.planet.nl/~koster7/

I hope I have made it a bit clear what the problem is, though it should
be apparent taking a look at it in both FF and IE. Also do I hope the
html is a bit readable.

Thanks in advance, Maarten

<head>
<title>Website version 0.1</title>
charset=iso-8859-1" />

body {
background-color:#807539;
font: 15px arial;
}

#mainBody {
// position: relative;
width: 950px;
margin-left:auto;
margin-right:auto;
text-align:left;
background-color:#e7e2c7;
color:black;
}

..header1 {
background-color:#807539;
color:white;
text-align:center;
font-style: oblique; font-variant: small-caps; font-weight:
900; font-size: 15px; line-height: 24px;
}

..header2 {
background-color:#e7e2c7;
color:black;
font-style: oblique; font-variant: small-caps; font-weight:
800; font-size: 14px; line-height: 24px;
}

..header3 {
background-color:#e7e2c7;
color:black;
font-style: oblique; font-variant: small-caps; font-weight:
900; font-size: 15px; line-height: 24px;
}

..bodyText {
border-width: 20px;

}

..leftColumn {
float: left;
width: 450px;
margin: 10px;
}

..rightColumn {
float: right;
width: 450px;
margin: 10px;
}

#mainMenu {
background-color:#807539;
color:white;
border: solid #e7e2c7;
text-align: center;
font-style: oblique; font-variant: small-caps; font-weight:
900; font-size: 15px; line-height: 24px;
}

#mainMenuT {
background-color:transparent;
width:950px;
}

..mainMenuS {
position:absolute;
background-color:#a4a08a;
border: solid #e7e2c7;
color:white;
visibility:hidden;
text-align: center;
z-index:1;
}

..mainMenuST {
width:944px;
border-width: 20px;
}

#maininfo {
width:950px;
}

..evenEntry {
background-color: white;
}
..unevenEntry {
background-color: #dcd5ad;
}

#maininfoMusica {
width: 400px;
table-layout: fixed;
}

#maininfoMusicaTBL {
width: 400px;
white-space: nowrap;
table-layout: fixed;
border-spacing: 0px;
}

.maininfoMusicaTBL-C1 {
width: 15%;
white-space: nowrap;
table-layout: fixed;
padding-right: 0.2cm;
overflow: hidden;
}

.maininfoMusicaTBL-C2 {
width: 40%;
white-space: nowrap;
table-layout: fixed;
padding-right: 0.2cm;
overflow: hidden;
}

.maininfoMusicaTBL-C3 {
width: 45%;
white-space: nowrap;
table-layout: fixed;
padding-right: 0.2cm;
overflow: hidden
}

#maininfoFotografia {
width: 400px;
}

#maininfoCinematica {
width: 400px;
}

</head>

class="maininfoMusicaTBL-C2">Artist</td><td
class="maininfoMusicaTBL-C2">Title</td>

Not yet available

Not yet available

Ben C

[...]

You can fix it with overflow: hidden on #maininfo.

See http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/index.html, especially pages 3
and 8.