Bad default font when using Windows XPE

Discussion in 'Java' started by Eric Hubert, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Eric Hubert

    Eric Hubert Guest

    Hello,

    I am currently dealing with a problem of font display
    when my application runs on Windows XPE (XP Embedded).

    I am using JRE 1.4.1, and on any Windows application,
    a default font (met when displaying table headers,
    titled borders, ...) is always displayed in a propor-
    tional font (probably "arial").

    When running the software on XPE, the default font is
    not the expected one, but an ugly, non-proportional
    font. However, a very important set of fonts is available
    in the required Windows directory.

    Do you see any reason why this problem could occur?

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Best regards

    Eric

    Eric Hubert, Nov 4, 2003

  2. I never worked with that combination, but here are my guesses:
    The logical font is "Dialog". If the JVM does not us some system font,
    this is usually mapped in Metal to a Lucida TrueType font included in
    the JRE.

    Try to turn on or off system font usage:

    Either on the command line:

    java -Dswing.useSystemFontSettings=false
    or
    java -Dswing.useSystemFontSettings=true

    or within the application use the UIDefaults:

    UIManager.getDefaults().put("Application.useSystemFontSettings",
    Boolean.FALSE);
    or
    UIManager.getDefaults().put("Application.useSystemFontSettings",
    Boolean.TRUE);

    You could also have a look at the font.properties file (I assume your
    JVM on that machine still has one), and check if you have installed all
    the fonts that are mapped to Java's logical font names in that file.
    Java can't handle bitmap fonts. You might want to check this, too.

    /Thomas

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Eric Hubert

    Eric Hubert Guest