Bad default font when using Windows XPE

Eric Hubert

Hello,

I am currently dealing with a problem of font display
when my application runs on Windows XPE (XP Embedded).

I am using JRE 1.4.1, and on any Windows application,
a default font (met when displaying table headers,
titled borders, ...) is always displayed in a propor-
tional font (probably "arial").

When running the software on XPE, the default font is
not the expected one, but an ugly, non-proportional
font. However, a very important set of fonts is available
in the required Windows directory.

Do you see any reason why this problem could occur?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best regards

Eric

Ad

Thomas Weidenfeller

Eric Hubert said:
I am currently dealing with a problem of font display
when my application runs on Windows XPE (XP Embedded).

I am using JRE 1.4.1,

I never worked with that combination, but here are my guesses:
and on any Windows application,
a default font (met when displaying table headers,
titled borders, ...) is always displayed in a propor-
tional font (probably "arial").

The logical font is "Dialog". If the JVM does not us some system font,
this is usually mapped in Metal to a Lucida TrueType font included in
the JRE.

Try to turn on or off system font usage:

Either on the command line:

java -Dswing.useSystemFontSettings=false
or
java -Dswing.useSystemFontSettings=true

or within the application use the UIDefaults:

UIManager.getDefaults().put("Application.useSystemFontSettings",
Boolean.FALSE);
or
UIManager.getDefaults().put("Application.useSystemFontSettings",
Boolean.TRUE);

You could also have a look at the font.properties file (I assume your
JVM on that machine still has one), and check if you have installed all
the fonts that are mapped to Java's logical font names in that file.
font. However, a very important set of fonts is available
in the required Windows directory.

Java can't handle bitmap fonts. You might want to check this, too.

/Thomas

Ad

Top