BARRIER - require "rubygems"

Luis Lavena

Back to topic: please ask some product manager that you trust about
the basic installer requirement that I've mentioned (it's not my
requirement, but a general one).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee915058.aspx

"Another reason to streamline setup is that inexperienced users
sometimes overanalyze options, fearing that a wrong choice could be
irreversible or destructive. Forcing users to make decisions about
things they don't understand or care about can make them feel anxious,
incompetent, and even frustrated. Not a good first impression. It is
better just to get them going quickly, feeling comfortable and
confident as they explore the features in your program, and making
better decisions about feature options at that time."

Standard Setup, Custom Setup, that is adding too much noise. Also, an
standard setup should not alter the user environment.

RubyInstaller provides an access to the command prompt, "Start Command
Prompt with Ruby", which is located inside the Program menu, the place
newcomers will check as soon the installed something.

If you're savvy enough to attempt to use the default command prompt
that means you know about "Add Ruby to your PATH" option, which you
should have checked.

"Scope pages (typical, custom, or minimum)

Prefer to eliminate this page. Assume that most users want the typical
setup experience (and design that experience so that it works well for
most users)."

---

Anyhow, seem your level of expertise in fields from OO, embedded
system, consulting, UX and UI is so huge, perhaps you can support your
words with code.

Yeah, code, that thing that make things work.

Here is RubyInstaller repository:

http://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller

Bet you something: if you contribute "something" instead of continuous
non-constructive criticism, I'll happily apply to the project. After
all, we all will benefit.

To the above statement you will argue that you have nothing to prove
me, which will result in prove my point: your complete lack of
technical skills.

So, I challenge you for once and for all *do* something instead of
flood with criticism. Change start on you.

Until then, bye.

David Masover

=20
Of course it's obvious, and as an (obvious) conclusion you previous
statement becomes false.
=20
"File association and path changing are very much optional, since
Ruby
will work without those. "

Ruby working is contingent neither on double-clicking nor on being in the=20
system path. For this to be false, you would have to demonstrate that actua=
lly=20
launching Ruby via a full path on the commandline does not work. I don't ha=
ve=20
a Windows machine, but I assume that

C:\path\to\rubyw.exe myscript.rb

does, in fact, work. I imagine you could also create batch files, or even=20
plain Windows shortcuts, which launch Ruby scripts.
I'm sure that the relevant people will realize that in context
"newcomer", both options should be enabled by default.

If a "newcomer" is blindly installing software without reading and=20
understanding options like these, perhaps programming isn't likely to be a=
=20
strong suit for them?
Topic closed.

That's not up to you.

Ilias Lazaridis

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee915058.aspx

"Another reason to streamline setup is that inexperienced users
[...]

This just confirms: leave the boxes checked, or get rid of them (maybe
detect if there are already associations or path variables, and
confront the user only then).
Anyhow, seem your level of expertise in fields from OO, embedded
[...]

What you call "criticism" is basically detecting issues like
weaknesses, flaws, barriers, inconsistencies, defects.

This is my main expertise, or an inborn talent and tendency (or even a
"curse").

If spotting the issues leads to change, then this is a constructive
criticism, a contribution.

If I make additionally implementation / architectural suggestions,
then it's design work.

If there is much change-resistance (e.g. from the typical "freak-
show", the self-declared "community police" or simply by one crazy-
gone individual who writes publicly when he's under drugs), then it
becomes hard work.

Each issue needs an (estimated) average of 2 days mental attention
until it is solved in the language repository (where it benefits all).

Saying that this is no contribution at all is simply ungrateful and
insincere.

I don't have to prove my technical skills. The people that I'm
interested in, detect my abilities just from my writings - they don't
need to see a line of code.

But I'll reach code-level "naturally".

I'll most possibly try the DevKit when I reach C-level. I'll report as
usual issues that I spot and most possibly I'll send some code-level
changes via the usual channels.

..

David Masover

=20
I don't have to prove my technical skills. The people that I'm
interested in, detect my abilities just from my writings - they don't
need to see a line of code.

Would you hire someone without seeing a line of code from them?

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The_Abstract_Candidate.aspx

Of course, you don't have to do anything at all, a priori. You can go right=
on=20
making suggestions, demands, and "detecting issues" without providing code,=
=20
and we can go right on assuming you're an Abstract Candidate until you=20
demonstrate otherwise.

Ilias Lazaridis

[...] - (he just don't get it that I don't take his kind serious)

Topic closed.

Dismissed!

..

Ilias Lazaridis

[...]

please note that several messages which appear on ruby-talk

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/1893359

Posted by Jon Forums (jonm) on 2011-06-09 23:34
Posted by Jon Forums (jonm) on 2011-06-11 20:36
Posted by Chad Perrin (Guest) on 2011-06-11 21:40
Posted by Aaron Patterson (Guest) on 2011-06-12 23:03

did not arrive within comp.lang.ruby.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/5cdb05f06f4888ba#

This does not mean necessarily that I ignore you.

I just post & reply only via usenet.

..

Christopher Dicely

2011/6/12 Ilias Lazaridis said:
I'm sure that the relevant people will realize that in context
"newcomer", both options should be enabled by default.

Who are the relevant people? Luis Lavena, who is the RubyInstaller
maintainer, seems to be the most relevant person possible, and clearly
disagrees with you (and note that the position taken by RubyInstaller
was a considered change from the One-Click Installer.)