Beginner to Ruby

Abhilash Nama

Hi,

I am trying to learn to program using Ruby and I have downloaded the
Ruby 1.93 installer. My first code is here: http://codepad.org/KlBucAPF
but, this doesn't seem to work when I put it in Interactive Ruby on my
computer.

I would appreciate if someone could help me figure out why?

Thanks!

Best,
Abhilash.

Marvin Gülker

I am trying to learn to program using Ruby and I have downloaded the
Ruby 1.93 installer. My first code is here: http://codepad.org/KlBucAPF
but, this doesn't seem to work when I put it in Interactive Ruby on my
computer.

"Doesn't work" is quite vague. Can you be more precise, e.g. by posting
the whole error message you experience?
I would appreciate if someone could help me figure out why?

Thanks!

Best,
Abhilash.

Vale,
Marvin

Simon Krahnke

* Marvin Gülker said:
"Doesn't work" is quite vague. Can you be more precise, e.g. by posting
the whole error message you experience?

It works just fine here, I don't see any see any reason why it shouldn't.

,----
| $ irb raw.rb
| raw.rb(main):001:0> class Person
| raw.rb(main):002:1> attr_accessor :name, :gender, :age
| raw.rb(main):003:1> end
| => nil
| raw.rb(main):004:0>
| raw.rb(main):005:0* person1 = Person.new
| => #<Person:0x7ff067f626b0>
| raw.rb(main):006:0> person1.name = "Abhilash Nama"
| => "Abhilash Nama"
| raw.rb(main):007:0> person1.gender = "Male"
| => "Male"
| raw.rb(main):008:0> person1.age = "30"
| => "30"
| raw.rb(main):009:0>
| raw.rb(main):010:0* puts person1.ageraw.rb(main):010:0* raw.rb(main):010:0> 30
| => nil
`----

Using puts in an irb session seems to mess up the output some. But it says 30 on the end the line.

Using ruby, not irb, it just says "30".

mfg, simon .... l