Best way to learn Java??

sirine

Hi there,

I'm currently a web developer, I know HTML, Javascript, ASP and
VBscript...etc but I would like to learn Java, do you guys know what's
the best way to do this, any great sites or books you recommend?

also, I see so many things associated with Java when I'm looking
through job sites like J2EE and Strusts, UML...etc, are these
necessary to learn when learning Java?

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Sirine

Dave Monroe

Hi there,

I'm currently a web developer, I know HTML, Javascript, ASP and
VBscript...etc but I would like to learn Java, do you guys know what's
the best way to do this, any great sites or books you recommend?

also, I see so many things associated with Java when I'm looking
through job sites like J2EE and Strusts, UML...etc, are these
necessary to learn when learning Java?

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Sirine

There's really no substitute for getting your hands dirty.

Download the SDK from Sun and mess with it. You'll also find the API
documentation there.

Also, don't try to eat the elephant in one bite. Learn the language,
then work on all of the nuances and extentions (e.g. j2ee, struts,
etc). It's going to take time. How much time it takes will depend on
you.

"Java is a simple language." (from 'Java in a Nutshell', page 5).

Bullshit!

Liz

sirine said:
Hi there,

I'm currently a web developer, I know HTML, Javascript, ASP and
VBscript...etc but I would like to learn Java, do you guys know what's
the best way to do this, any great sites or books you recommend?

also, I see so many things associated with Java when I'm looking
through job sites like J2EE and Strusts, UML...etc, are these
necessary to learn when learning Java?

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Sirine

I like to get a book and read it in bed with the radio set to classical or
new age
music, some milk and cookies with the cream filling,
but new age is so hard to find these days on the radio.
I started with one of the "in 21 days" books and it was pretty good. You
can highlight whatever you want. Actually trying the examples helps quite a
bit
to get the feel of how things work.
Good luck...

Gerry Murphy

sirine said:
Hi there,

I'm currently a web developer, I know HTML, Javascript, ASP and
VBscript...etc but I would like to learn Java, do you guys know what's
the best way to do this, any great sites or books you recommend?

also, I see so many things associated with Java when I'm looking
through job sites like J2EE and Strusts, UML...etc, are these
necessary to learn when learning Java?

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Sirine

Modesty may prevent Roedy Green from answering, so let me recommend his
his web site and java glossary, http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html
I, as an experienced engineer but new to Java, have found this site a
treasure trove. And pay attention to his responses in this newsgroup.

Good luck,

Gerry Murphy