best way to learn java

TVS

Seeing the wastness of java i am a bit worried about how to learn it.
From where to start it. I know C and C++ and OOPS concept. So What is
the better way to start learning. Any sites recommended to visit and
how to learn about the libraries that are there in it. Also I want to
learn more about socket programming in java as fast as possible. Kindly
help me in this issue.

Ad

jan V

how to learn about the libraries that are there in it. Also I want to
learn more about socket programming in java as fast as possible.

You're iu luck: socket programming in Java is really, really easy. Track
down a free online book called "Thinking in Java" (Eckel), and get started
;-)

Thomas Weidenfeller

TVS said:
Seeing the wastness of java i am a bit worried about how to learn it.

If you know C/C++, you might be happy with "Java in a Nutshell" from
David Flanagan (O'Reilly books).

/Thomas

Sameer

Please visit java.sun.com and download Java Tutorial to start with. Do
subscribe to newsletters from sun about TechTips, New to Java.
Try to get Java FAQ book from Java Series.
Search for books of java over net and download samples chapters and
sample code provided there. Each book keeps the source code in the book
available over net. Do download it for 'Java 2: The Complete Reference'
Best of Brain.

-Sameer

IchBin

TVS said:
Seeing the wastness of java i am a bit worried about how to learn it.
the better way to start learning. Any sites recommended to visit and
how to learn about the libraries that are there in it. Also I want to
learn more about socket programming in java as fast as possible. Kindly
help me in this issue.
Take a look at 'The Really Big Index'

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.servebeer.com

' If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Ad

David Segall

A_Wieminer said:
And to ease your work, take a decent JavaIDE such as Netbeans, Eclipse
or IntelliIDEA.
http://koti.mbnet.fi/akini/java/docs/javaide.html

A very useful list but you should now try Oracle's JDeveloper
<http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/index.html> which has
just had a 100% price reduction. I don't think a feature comparison of
JDeveloper and the products you list above would show any significant
shortcomings. In fact, JDeveloper is unique in that has a GUI designer
for HTML documents which, by itself, makes it worth downloading.

Thomas Fritsch

TVS said:
Seeing the wastness of java i am a bit worried about how to learn it.
the better way to start learning. Any sites recommended to visit and
how to learn about the libraries that are there in it. Also I want to
learn more about socket programming in java as fast as possible. Kindly
help me in this issue.
Back in 1997 (when there were not as many libraries as today) I found
the book "Exploring Java" very useful to get into this new language and
API, especially into the networking-API. So, if you're afraid not to
find the wood between all those trees, you may take a look. It is online
available now: <http://doc.novsu.ac.ru/oreilly/java/exp/index.htm>

Ad

jan V

Seeing the wastness of java i am a bit worried about how to learn it.
the better way to start learning.

Oh.. I nearly forgot.. there are also a few interactive Java environments
where you can enter statements and have them interpreted straight away (like
in the good old BASIC interpreter days). Try BeanShell, for example.

Top