    how to learn about the libraries that are there in it. Also I want to
    learn more about socket programming in java as fast as possible. Kindly
    help me in this issue.

    TVS, Aug 1, 2005

  2. TVS

    jan V Guest

    how to learn about the libraries that are there in it. Also I want to
    You're iu luck: socket programming in Java is really, really easy. Track
    down a free online book called "Thinking in Java" (Eckel), and get started
    ;-)

    jan V, Aug 1, 2005

  3. If you know C/C++, you might be happy with "Java in a Nutshell" from
    David Flanagan (O'Reilly books).

    /Thomas

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Aug 1, 2005
  4. TVS

    Sameer Guest

    Please visit java.sun.com and download Java Tutorial to start with. Do
    subscribe to newsletters from sun about TechTips, New to Java.
    Try to get Java FAQ book from Java Series.
    Search for books of java over net and download samples chapters and
    sample code provided there. Each book keeps the source code in the book
    available over net. Do download it for 'Java 2: The Complete Reference'
    Best of Brain.

    -Sameer

    Sameer, Aug 1, 2005
  5. TVS

    IchBin Guest

    Take a look at 'The Really Big Index'

    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

    --

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.servebeer.com

    ' If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    IchBin, Aug 1, 2005
  6. TVS

    A_Wieminer Guest

    A_Wieminer, Aug 1, 2005
  7. TVS

    David Segall Guest

    A very useful list but you should now try Oracle's JDeveloper
    <http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/index.html> which has
    just had a 100% price reduction. I don't think a feature comparison of
    JDeveloper and the products you list above would show any significant
    shortcomings. In fact, JDeveloper is unique in that has a GUI designer
    for HTML documents which, by itself, makes it worth downloading.

    David Segall, Aug 1, 2005
  8. Back in 1997 (when there were not as many libraries as today) I found
    the book "Exploring Java" very useful to get into this new language and
    API, especially into the networking-API. So, if you're afraid not to
    find the wood between all those trees, you may take a look. It is online
    available now: <http://doc.novsu.ac.ru/oreilly/java/exp/index.htm>

    Thomas Fritsch, Aug 1, 2005
  9. TVS

    jan V Guest

    Seeing the wastness of java i am a bit worried about how to learn it.
    Oh.. I nearly forgot.. there are also a few interactive Java environments
    where you can enter statements and have them interpreted straight away (like
    in the good old BASIC interpreter days). Try BeanShell, for example.

    jan V, Aug 1, 2005