Losing motivation, don't know how to learn.

Joined
Jul 16, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello!
I have trouble staying focused, so I watch a video to learn JS objects and my mind is already elsewhere, hence the fact that I opted for Mosh Hamedani's lessons which last between 2 and 5 minutes, that's the essential and it's perfect for my concentration.

BUT! I feel like a big shit, for example, I see "If else" I understand it and I know how to do it, on the other hand I'm going to come back to it the next day I won't know how to do it at all.. I'm going either forget { } or some other nonsense.. to tell the truth now I know it. but for example after I did an exercise with "If else"

I forgot to do: else return false / I did: else false

I have the impression of watching videos, of understanding but that my brain forgets everything, being really bad it demoralizes me.. I tell myself that I am not made for that in the end, while I like it, I like it really..

I started to take notes of each course I see, I make a brief summary, example if I saw how to define an object in JS, I make a note + example. But I have the impression that it is useless... yet I have an excellent memory but there is nothing...

I don't know at all how to learn to better retain/understand... I have trouble finding exercises accessible to beginners ++ in JS, suddenly I block, it frustrates me and I come back to learn JS 4/5 days later, and in the meantime I forgot everything..

I have to review the videos, one by one, and really understand what it's for, rather than watching, and trying to move on to another video?

For example, if I see a course on "Factory Function" I do an exercise myself right after to see if I understood? (I have to do a mini exercise after every video I watch to practice?

I'm lost.... don't judge me..

Joined
Jul 12, 2020
Messages
89
Reaction score
9
Your problem is you're watching videos. Read tutorials and or books that explain things in more detail in order to help you get a better understanding. Put in the time. Watching videos is a relaxation thing to most which is why your attention span is that of a fruit fly.;)

Joined
Mar 11, 2022
Messages
227
Reaction score
32
Age could be an issue too. Im 48 now and it's really hard for me to learn new stuff. 10 years ago it was way more easy. 20 Years ago i was able to learn two languages at the same time. Nowadays it's hard to me, to keep up.

I reached into this world of coding at the age of 12. Can't remember my very first computer. Than to a C64, Amiga, 386 486 and so on. That time was easy to learn stuff.

My advice is:

Go for something usefull for yourself.

Example: I am a musican too. (Nowadays i have my own studio, but back that days it was more or less a mess). So i wrote myself my very first drum machine in C. I bought books about it, and read everything about C that i was able to grab.

With that goal actually i,ve learned C. Was a messy program, but i improved it from time to time.

Go and search your feelings luke. What do you need? What do you want to have? In JS there is plenty of options to write useful things.

Joined
Aug 13, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I can kind of relate. I'm 29 and I'm coming from a machinist background.

I also had similar issues to yours while I was starting to learn Javascript. The thing that helped me was to watch the video lesson once, then after a while (5-10 mins) rewatch it, and while I'm rewatching it, I'm writing notes on paper. Yes, whole example code blocks on paper. I have two A4 notebooks filled by now. This made me more aware of the code structure. I'm following a Javascript course on Udemy btw.

After I had finished 2-3 video lessons, then I write them in Visual Studio Code and from there I experiment with various modifications, I'm seeing what works and what doesn't... I even like to overcomplicate the code I'm writing so I can learn it better.

Don't get discouraged, but instead be encouraged to try even harder. You need to repeat and repeat the code in order for it to stick.

Remember, try different approaches and see what works for you. Stay positive!

Joined
Nov 24, 2022
Messages
73
Reaction score
7
If (he he ) You need help with Javascript, I need a person to work with(let say to show some things) to find out how to preper proper content. Now I'm creating a website that will be used to practise coding in javaacript (also HTML and CSS). Anyway, I need objects to see how they learn, and how to make it more effective. I help now some guy that I found on some chatroom but he only can focus for an hour a day and I try to put as much knowledge to his mind as I can. So, You can write me anytime and if I only have time I will try to help.

Joined
Dec 21, 2022
Messages
28
Reaction score
4
My 3 advises for starters:

  • Not only watch videos, read also blogs and tutorials and books.
  • You need 1 to 3 own small coding projects to working on and have real practice. Don't choose too big or too difficult projects for the beginning. E.g. if you start learn C++ make a little Console Game asking questions and the User has to supply the correct answer on the keyboard, or if you start learning webprogramming make your own small little guestbook or sth. similar.
  • Don't practice only alone. Have a tutor, a group or a friend sometimes. Work on a project together.
Need help? Ideas? Wanna practice? Maybe I can help you.