  1. Books, websites? What did you learn? I'm asking so that I can learn to use
    this language successfully. Sorry for the new-ness of my programming skill.

    Evan

    News.Individual.NET, Nov 22, 2003

  2. See http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/clc/cbooks.html for a decent list. The
    first three on the list are "tutorials". Most of us here in clc prefer "The
    C Programming Language", 2nd edition, but King and Deitel&Deitel are both
    well-respected.
    C. :)

    You came to the right place. We won't teach you C, but we can certainly help
    you to learn it.

    Richard Heathfield, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Books are almost certainly the best way, but you need to be very careful
    about which books. There are a *lot* of bad books out there.

    Websites are practically useless for learning C. Very few online C
    tutorials actually teach C. Usually they teach something that they call
    C, and which is similar in some ways to C, but which is different from C
    in some fundamental ways. This is simply because the authors usually
    don't know or understand the language as well as they think they do. The
    same can be said for the authors of the bad C books I mentioned above.
    Misunderstanding of the C language is pretty wide-spread, even among
    people who call themselves C programmers.

    -Kevin

    Kevin Goodsell, Nov 22, 2003
  4. News.Individual.NET

    CBFalconer Guest

    Two absolute rules for the C newbie are: Never ever buy, nor
    read, any book authored by Herbert Schildt. Never ever use
    gets().

    Either of those actions will ensure you never attain Paradise.

    CBFalconer, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Wolfgang Kaufmann, Nov 23, 2003
  6. A good book is "The C Programming Language", 2nd Edition by Kernighan
    & Ritchie. (Also known as K&R2.) It assumes you know a bit about how
    to program already (tho that isn't a hard and fast rule), and it does
    move relatively quickly (faster than most tutorial books). However, it
    can be used by the experienced programmer as a C reference manual long
    after the basics have been grasped.

    That book, in fact, is how I learned to program C. It makes a good
    distinction between standard C and nonstandard C, and standard C is
    what it teaches. By learning standard C first, you can find out about
    nonstandard alterations to C in your own time and understand them from
    a solid foundation. Plus, you can use this newsgroup only for
    questions about standard C. The regulars will be annoyed if you ask
    questions about nonstandard C.

    Websites generally aren't good ways to learn C. For every bad book on
    C (and there are numerous), there are probably a dozen bad websites.
    Therefore, the only websites I'll recommend are related to books in
    some way.

    http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/ -- The Association of C and
    C++ Users book reviews page. The ACCU has good reviews, and on
    numerous topics, not just C and C++ programming. When the ACCU says a
    book is good, or that it is crap, you can trust it.

    http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html -- The comp.lang.c FAQ. This
    exists in published form as well, but the website is highly usable.
    Consider this an adjunct to other C references, one that answers
    specific questions instead of focusing on general rules.
    I learned standard C, not any vendor's idea of what C should be. I'd
    suggest you do the same.
    Don't apologize for being inexperienced. We all were once, and anyone
    who gives you hell about it should be ignored on general principles.

    August Derleth, Nov 24, 2003