Bind Gridview from inside iFrame

Dave

I currently have a page with an iFrame. Once of the SRC pages has a
FormView that needs to bind a Gridview on the Parent Page when
ItemInserting has fired. How can I do this in C#? If I "HAVE TO" use
VBScript, please be explicit. That's virgin territory for me.

Thanks! (d)(d)

Gregory A. Beamer

I currently have a page with an iFrame. Once of the SRC pages has a
FormView that needs to bind a Gridview on the Parent Page when
ItemInserting has fired. How can I do this in C#? If I "HAVE TO" use
VBScript, please be explicit. That's virgin territory for me.

Realistically, you will have to cause the iFrame, when submitted, to
refresh with a bit of script that causes the parent page to refresh. I
would choose JavaScript myself, but it can be done in VBScript (limiting
the app to Internet Explorer, of course).

You can dink with the resulting grid and alter it, but that is a royal
pain in the rear and would require days, if not weeks, of work to debug
it. If the user can edit every row prior to finishing with the iFrame,
the chance of error increases greatly. In addition, you will end up
having to keep a client side map of the rows in the parent Grid view (in
the child (iFramed)) to get this to have any chance of working
accurately.

If the second paragraph is a foreign language to you, consider the first
option. You can have the VBScript written out to the iFrame on submit of
the FormView.

Personally, I would see if you could re-architect the solution so the
FormView was not iFramed in a page that contains the GridView and get
rid of hte cross-page dependency. It would make your life much easier.
There are plenty of GridView/FormView examples on the web that are much
simpler.

Peace and Grace,