Bizzare: Invalid path to Access mdb, path is good

Keith-Earl

'I:\YYYY\YYYData.mdb' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is
spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file
resides.

--------

I get this error when I try to place my Access mdb out on a file server
share. The file system has "Everyone" "Modify" and so does the share. My
web server is IIS 5.1 on XP. The first step I take is to copy the path
above from the browser error page and paste it into the Run line. It loads
the mdb just fine, so I know my LOCALHOST web server can "See" the file just
fine. The path does exist, the drive is mapped. Even tried UNC, no joy.

Next step was to debug permissions. I normally get the "locked" or
insufficient permissions error, but I figure what the heck. I temporarily
granted Full Control to "Everyone" and "Anonymous Users" and no joy.

When I copy the mdb to my local disk all is well.

What could this be?

Thanks,

Keith

Peter O'Reilly

When the access file is located on the same machine as the asp.net
application, the mdb database file is being accessed using the aspnet worker
process account. This worker process account is a local account, e.g. it is
only recognized by the machine in which it resides.

To access the mdb residing on another computer in the network, you need to
access it with an established network account. As mentioned before the
aspnet worker process account does not fit this bill. Instead you will need
to utilize impersonation within your ASP.NET application. This means the
application runs under the context of a network id that has permissions to
the mdb file located on another computer.

I would advise against having the mdb file reside on another computer. You
will be penalized greatly by performance with alot of interprocess
communication and disk i/o activity. Instead, I would keep the mdb file
local and take advantage of MS Access's replication capabilities, if needed.