blackberry emulator and browsing problem

dave

I was able to find a windows emulator for blackberry 7510 on www.blackberry.com/developer. My problem however, is how to setup/configure so that i can browse to web pages from within the emulator
Can someone help me? It is probably pretty simple but i am unable to find instructions on this.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello,

Is it a emulator like a web browser client? If that, based on my
experience, we don't need to do anything special. We just need to use MMIT
to create a mobile web application. Type the page address in the emulator
and it will browse to the content of the page automatically.

Also, I browsed that web site and found the following page, which may be
useful to you:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe?func=ll&objId=3
48675&objAction=browse&sort=name
It contains user guide of blackberry 7210.

You can also submit your question at:
https://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterservices/efaq/searchpage.asp?link=
ptf

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

dave

After further reseach i did find that there was a mobile data service (MDS) simulater that had to be installed first. This solved my problem

I do however, have another problem. I can install MMIT and when a user browses to my web page how can i determine if it is a mobile devices hitting the page? i..e. if it is a mobile device i would like to redirect to a special page for mobile device
th
dave

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear that you have settled down it.

You can use the REQUEST object to identify the OS, browser version of the
request and then judge the client type. Please test it and let me know
whether it works for you. :)

Thanks.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

dave

I was able to use Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT") for redirection

How can I tell if the framework is recognizing it as the correct device?

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response.

In MMIT, we can find a class named MobileCapabilities. In this class, we
can find one property named IsMobileDevice. I think it can be used. Also,
we can use like:

This following example demonstrates the use of Browser property of
MobileCapability class.

public void Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
{
MobileCapabilities currentCapabilities
= (MobileCapabilities)Request.Browser;
if (currentCapabilities.Browser !="IE")
{
lblNotice.Text = "Best viewed with Internet Explorer";

For blackberry emulator, I think there should be also some monitor tool so
that you can watch the http request header fields. The above Browser
property is inherited from the System.Web.HttpBrowserCapabilities class.
Example values include: Pocket IE, Microsoft Explorer, Nokia, Phone.com,
Ericsson, and i-mode. I think we can differ them by these values.

Does that answer your question?