    simulator available for me to download.

    Thanks in advance!
    Amber

    Amber Reyn, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Amber Reyn

    Ted Harper Guest

    What I have installed here (for testing ASP.Net Mobile Controls pages)
    is the "Blackberry Java Development Environment 3.7" - I can't
    remember what downloads I had to get for all the moving parts for
    this, but all were from the Blackberry developer site.

    Anyway, to use the browser functionality in the emulator, you must
    first start the "MDS Simulator" which acts as a WAP gateway for the
    browser in the phone emulator *then* start the phone emulator and it
    will work.

    Something I found, and which may or may not be an issue for you
    (depending on your specific ASP.Net Mobile page outputs) is that even
    with Device Update 4 installed on your server machine, the
    capabilities of newer Blackberry devices (eg those with high-ish
    resolution and colour screens) are *not* communicated to your ASP.Net
    code, and hence you will be rendering well below the capabilities of
    the phone device your users are likely to be using. This isn't an
    "emulator" problem, rather with the device capability detection in the
    framework (even with .Net Framework 1.1, SP1 and Device Update 4
    installed) not knowing about these newer and more graphically-oriented
    Blackberry devices being available.

    Hope this helps; if you can't get the emulator+browser working, please
    post back and I'll dig onto the specifics on the test machine here to
    see what I might have configured.

    ted.h.

    Ted Harper, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Thank you for your response Ted! I have installed the "Blackberry Java
    Development Environment 3.7" and i have a few more question to get it
    working.

    Can you set up simulator with Visual Studio to be the default browser?
    Also when i run the device simulator and I use the browser to browse to
    my test mobile asp page on my localhost I get an error "Unable to
    connect to the selected Mobile Data Service". I tried connecting sites
    on the internet but i get the same error. What needs to be configured?

    Amber Reyngoudt, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Amber Reyn

    Ted Harper Guest

    I don't know. What I've been doing to debug is start up my normal
    browser (IE) via VS, then go to the Blackberry emulator and use its
    browser. That way I can set breakpoints, etc just fine.
    I *think* it might be because the "MDS Simulator" (should be in the
    same menu group as the other Blackberry SDK apps installed to) either
    isn't started or something bad has happened with it (maybe blocked by
    XPSP2 firewall?). It outputs a console window when running. Does this
    look ok - you have to start it before using the browser in the
    emulator - and do you see the browser requests hitting it from the
    emulator?

    ted.h.

    Ted Harper, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Amber Reyn

    Dominic Guest

    Hi Ted,

    I can't get MDS simulator running on my machine. Could you help?

    I've finished installation of BlackBerry JDE 3.7. Now, what file
    should I run in order to start MDS simulator?

    I tried C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE
    3.7\MDS\load.bat. It doesn't seem to work at all. I can't find console
    window running....

    Thanks in advance for your help

    Dom

    Dominic, Nov 2, 2004
  6. Amber Reyn

    Ted Harper Guest

    I don't really know where to start on debugging this. Does the
    underlying (Sun) Java environment on your machine work successfully?

    Definitely to start the browser relaying process, I have a menu link
    called "MDS Simulator" in the same menu group as the other
    Blackberry-related tools. It runs "C:\Program Files\Research In
    Motion\BlackBerry JDE 3.7\MDS\load.bat"

    That *should* open a console window and invoke a Java application;
    specifically the contents of that bat file on my machine are as
    follows:

    @ECHO off
    IF /I NOT [%BMDS_ENV_SET%]==[true] call setBMDSEnv
    start java -classpath %BMDS_CLASSPATH%
    net.rim.application.ipproxyservice.IPProxyServiceApplication
    -log.console.dump %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

    That being the case, if you aren't seeing a console window (or one is
    coming up and closing very shortly afterwards) all I can guess is that
    the java runtime (ie Java.exe) is not in the search path for your
    account. If you open a command-prompt and run Java (ie java(enter) at
    a C:\ prompt), do you see the help information on its runtime
    parameters displayed? If not, then see what might be making your Java
    runtime non-functional (ie perhaps uninstall and reinstall the latest
    runtime from Sun).

    If the Java help information IS displayed when you run it, then maybe
    the classpath information isn't correctly pointing to the location
    that the MDS application was installed to, or it didn't install
    completely. Not sure how to resolve this, other than to try the normal
    heavy-handed way (ie uninstall and install again).

    Definitely you DO need the MDS Simulator to be running (ie console
    window with various debugging output) before the web browser in the
    emulator is going to be at all useful for you.

    ted.h.

    Ted Harper, Nov 5, 2004
  7. Amber Reyn

    Dominic Guest