BlackBerry Handheld Simulator

Amber Reyn

I checked the blackberry site and was not sure if they have what i
need. I need a BlackBerry Handheld Simulator for the Blackberry 6230.
Also i will be testing a MMIT/ASP.net Web pages. Is there a
simulator available for me to download.

Thanks in advance!
Amber

Ted Harper

I checked the blackberry site and was not sure if they have what i
need. I need a BlackBerry Handheld Simulator for the Blackberry 6230.
Also i will be testing a MMIT/ASP.net Web pages. Is there a
simulator available for me to download.

What I have installed here (for testing ASP.Net Mobile Controls pages)
is the "Blackberry Java Development Environment 3.7" - I can't
remember what downloads I had to get for all the moving parts for
this, but all were from the Blackberry developer site.

Anyway, to use the browser functionality in the emulator, you must
first start the "MDS Simulator" which acts as a WAP gateway for the
browser in the phone emulator *then* start the phone emulator and it
will work.

Something I found, and which may or may not be an issue for you
(depending on your specific ASP.Net Mobile page outputs) is that even
with Device Update 4 installed on your server machine, the
capabilities of newer Blackberry devices (eg those with high-ish
resolution and colour screens) are *not* communicated to your ASP.Net
code, and hence you will be rendering well below the capabilities of
the phone device your users are likely to be using. This isn't an
"emulator" problem, rather with the device capability detection in the
framework (even with .Net Framework 1.1, SP1 and Device Update 4
installed) not knowing about these newer and more graphically-oriented
Blackberry devices being available.

Hope this helps; if you can't get the emulator+browser working, please
post back and I'll dig onto the specifics on the test machine here to
see what I might have configured.

ted.h.

Amber Reyngoudt

Thank you for your response Ted! I have installed the "Blackberry Java
Development Environment 3.7" and i have a few more question to get it
working.

Can you set up simulator with Visual Studio to be the default browser?
Also when i run the device simulator and I use the browser to browse to
my test mobile asp page on my localhost I get an error "Unable to
connect to the selected Mobile Data Service". I tried connecting sites
on the internet but i get the same error. What needs to be configured?

Ted Harper

Can you set up simulator with Visual Studio to be the default browser?

I don't know. What I've been doing to debug is start up my normal
browser (IE) via VS, then go to the Blackberry emulator and use its
browser. That way I can set breakpoints, etc just fine.
Also when i run the device simulator and I use the browser to browse to
my test mobile asp page on my localhost I get an error "Unable to
connect to the selected Mobile Data Service". I tried connecting sites
on the internet but i get the same error. What needs to be configured?

I *think* it might be because the "MDS Simulator" (should be in the
same menu group as the other Blackberry SDK apps installed to) either
isn't started or something bad has happened with it (maybe blocked by
XPSP2 firewall?). It outputs a console window when running. Does this
look ok - you have to start it before using the browser in the
emulator - and do you see the browser requests hitting it from the
emulator?

ted.h.

Dominic

Hi Ted,

I can't get MDS simulator running on my machine. Could you help?

I've finished installation of BlackBerry JDE 3.7. Now, what file
should I run in order to start MDS simulator?

I tried C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE
3.7\MDS\load.bat. It doesn't seem to work at all. I can't find console
window running....

Thanks in advance for your help

Dom

Ted Harper

Hi Ted,

I can't get MDS simulator running on my machine. Could you help?

I've finished installation of BlackBerry JDE 3.7. Now, what file
should I run in order to start MDS simulator?

I tried C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE
3.7\MDS\load.bat. It doesn't seem to work at all. I can't find console
window running....

Thanks in advance for your help

I don't really know where to start on debugging this. Does the
underlying (Sun) Java environment on your machine work successfully?

Definitely to start the browser relaying process, I have a menu link
called "MDS Simulator" in the same menu group as the other
Blackberry-related tools. It runs "C:\Program Files\Research In
Motion\BlackBerry JDE 3.7\MDS\load.bat"

That *should* open a console window and invoke a Java application;
specifically the contents of that bat file on my machine are as
follows:

@ECHO off
IF /I NOT [%BMDS_ENV_SET%]==[true] call setBMDSEnv
start java -classpath %BMDS_CLASSPATH%
net.rim.application.ipproxyservice.IPProxyServiceApplication
-log.console.dump %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

That being the case, if you aren't seeing a console window (or one is
coming up and closing very shortly afterwards) all I can guess is that
the java runtime (ie Java.exe) is not in the search path for your
account. If you open a command-prompt and run Java (ie java(enter) at
a C:\ prompt), do you see the help information on its runtime
parameters displayed? If not, then see what might be making your Java
runtime non-functional (ie perhaps uninstall and reinstall the latest
runtime from Sun).

If the Java help information IS displayed when you run it, then maybe
the classpath information isn't correctly pointing to the location
that the MDS application was installed to, or it didn't install
completely. Not sure how to resolve this, other than to try the normal
heavy-handed way (ie uninstall and install again).

Definitely you DO need the MDS Simulator to be running (ie console
window with various debugging output) before the web browser in the
emulator is going to be at all useful for you.

ted.h.

Dominic

Thanks Ted, it's now working!