Blank area above content

klloyd

http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html

I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:

leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

Barbara de Zoete

http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html

I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:

leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

Well, it could be one of the 37 errors in your markup
<URL:http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html>

Nije Nego

http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html

I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:

leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

You have bigger and more important issues than "blank area". On my screen
(images turned off) I see only search button.

klloyd

Barbara:
You might want to use something other than that "Markup Validation"
webpage you referred to. Since when is not having an ALT attribute for
an image an error?? I went through the entire list of errors it shows
and none of them are actual errors.

Nije:
Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
everything comes up fine...except for that blank area that this topic
is about. Thanks!

Steve Pugh

klloyd said:
Barbara:
You might want to use something other than that "Markup Validation"
webpage you referred to.

klloyd:
You might want to quote the parts of the message you are responding
to.

Now, what do you suggest using to check HTML other than the validation
service provided by the people who wrote the HTML specification?
Since when is not having an ALT attribute for
an image an error??

Since 1997.
I went through the entire list of errors it shows
and none of them are actual errors.

No, they are all errors. If you need any of them explained feel free
to ask.
Nije:
Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
everything comes up fine

Did you turn images off as Nije did when he tried your site?

Steve

Barbara de Zoete

Since when is not having an ALT attribute for
an image an error??

Could you try it again and tell me what you see? In my browsers
everything comes up fine...except for that blank area that this topic
is about. Thanks!

Now, isn't this a cute combination of responses. Missing [alt] is no
error, you think, but you fail to understand what a visitor whithout
images gets to see if you don't set a value for the [alt] attribute for
images that are content.

BTW:
<URL:http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
<URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
<URL:http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you>

klloyd

Wow...obviously that screenshot is using Firefox but when I preview it
with Firefox it comes up fine. That must be because you have images
turned off. Most of the page at the moment is made up of images...the
design structure of the page. There is no text content yet.

klloyd

Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
turned off. What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
tables?

Nije Nego

Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
turned off. What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
tables?

From where I am standing, there is a lot of blank space, and no images.

klloyd

From where I am standing, there is a lot of blank space, and no images.

Even with images on?

Neredbojias

http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html

I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:

leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

Did some WYSIWYG editor produce that markup, or is it a very old template,
perhaps? Anyway, I don't see the problem here (in either IE or FF.) The
top jpeg goes right up to the top of the viewport.

Steve Pugh

klloyd said:
Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
turned off.

You should be. Don't blind visitors come to your parks? Oh, and Google
always has images turned off...
What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
tables?

Please start quoting the parts of the message you are replying to. If
you don't then people here will get fed up with you and start ignoring
you.

re: http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html

You are using non-standard proprietary extensions to HTML. That is why
the validator is telling you that some of your attributes do not
exist. The extensions you are using are a mix if Netscape 4 extensions
and IE 4 extensions. And you are using an odd combination of the two
(i.e. the Netscape extensions you use and the IE extensions you use do
not do the same thing).

Some modern browsers support various combinations of these for
backwards compatability, but continued support in the future is not
guaranteed. If you followed the advice given and fixed the validation
errors in your HTML then you would be on the right path as you would
need to replace these proprietary extensions with CSS which (as this
doesn't involve any of the parts of CSS not supported by IE) is well
supported today and tomorrow.

Steve

Leif K-Brooks

klloyd said:
I understand what you are all talking about but am not worried about
visitors who have images turned off.

Not caring about your visitors is a good way to make sure no one here
will want to help you.

Nije Nego

http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html

I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at the
top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're not
flush with the top of the window. I have been scouring the html looking
for why and can't figure it out for the life of me. I thought maybe by
now I've got a little tunnel vision going on so maybe some fresh eyes
can find it. And yes in the body tag I do have:

leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

I see your problem in IE 6.
You should add this to your head
body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;}

Still think you have bigger issues than this.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jim said:
klloyd said:
http://test.springfieldparks.org/version07/home_new.html

I'm at my wits end. On this page there is a blank area appearing at
the top, bumping all the content and graphics down so that they're
not flush with the top of the window. [...]
The only white area I see is above the banner image
"springfieldParkDraftpsd_01.jpg". And the image is designed to have
the white stripe above the people.

Yes, there is a skinny white area at the top of that graphic. It is part
of the graphic. <lol> There is no additional blank area.

Barbara de Zoete

[ start quoting properly as explained in the hyperlinks I provided ]

Ok I don't want to get in an argument here...I understand what you are
all talking about but am not worried about visitors who have images
turned off.

That's a nice one. I had no idea your pages were just one big ego trip. In
which case visitors do not matter indeed.
What might that have to do with a blank space above all the
tables?

Why should I care to answer? You got far more valuable feed back on your
pages then regarding this issue, and yet you choose to ignore that.
You think this usenet newsgroup is some sort of helpdesk? Well, it isn't.
<URL:http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&output=gplain>

The One

leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"

add this to the body tag:
topmargin="0"