Guest

Hi everyone,
Has someone out there experienced the same problem? What i wanted to do is
to display a popup window (modal) upon the loading of a webpage. Here is my
code sample (in html view):
<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY onload="ShowPopUp();" MS_POSITIONING="GridLayout">
</BODY>
</HTML>
Where ShowPopUp() is a JavaScript function to display the popup window.
However it does not get called. When I replaced the function with just a
simple alert('Hello') function, still nothing is displayed at load up.
However, crazy enough, I got it to work on some of the pages though.?????
Is there anything that is missing or shouldn't be there?
Please help me...
Calvin

Kevin Spencer

Where have you defined the JavaScript function? When you use the body
"onload" event to call a function, it must be declared in the head. The
RegisterStartupScript() method puts the JavaScript code that should run when
the page is loaded at the bottom of the form. This always works, as long as
there are no references in the script to HTML elements below the script in
the page. This is due to the fact that browsers don't always get all of the
HTML for the page in one swell foop.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Paranoia is just a state of mind.

Guest

Thank you so much for all your responses.
My ShowPopUp() javascript function is declared in the header on the same
page as where it's called. What really puzzled me was even the
onload="alert('Hello');" did not display the message at load up.
What I really want to do is showing the popup (modal) window, which is a
Search screen where the user selects a record. When the popup is closed, the
selected ID is returned back to the parent window, put the returned ID in a
hidden field then reload the page so that the rest of the details can be
displayed on the screen.
How easy is it to do this using the RegisterStartupScript facility?

Thanks again,
Calvin

Patrick.O.Ige

Calvin.
I posted some sample links in my earlier post how you could use it.
If u still can't figure it out post your Js and will feed you back.
Patrick

Guest

Thanks so much Patrick. I think I have some ideas as how to do it and I will
give it a shot.
Would you be kind enough to check out this post again next week in case I
still have issues and may ask for your help?
Thanks again,
Calvin.

Guest

Thanks so much Patrick. I have managed to get it to work base on your ideas.
So thanks again.
Cheers.
Calvin