Border problem using tables

Applebrown

This is a simple website I'm working on but am having trouble with a
seemingly simple border:
www.sunbadgeco.com/sunmetal/bordertest.htm

This is how the 6px wide border (represented by the 1,2,3's below) around
the content (c) currently appears. You'll notice the 2's stretching and not
the 3's--a one px wide/high transparent .gif--as I intended:

12222322221
2 ccccccccc 2
2 ccccccccc 2
3 ccccccccc 3
2 ccccccccc 2
2 ccccccccc 2
12222322221

This is how I **want** the border around the content (c) to appear
graphically. The 1's and 2's should be locked in place, and the single
wide/high pixel.gif 3's should stretch to the length or height of the
content.

12333333321
2 ccccccccc 2
3 ccccccccc 3
3 ccccccccc 3
3 ccccccccc 3
2 ccccccccc 2
12333333321

The 1's are corner .gif's obviously. The 2's are .gifs that I want
stationary with 22 width, 6 high on the horizontal, and 14 height, 6 width
for verticals, but are actually the ones to stretch <grrr>. The 3's are the
single wide/high gif that I want stretched.

Can anyone help? Feel free to e-mail applebrown_@_gamebanshee_._com or post
here. Thanks.

Els

Whitecrest said:
Are there people that can actually see this?

I can see it. And read it. :)
I can even read the grey text on the pages the menu links
too... But I have one of those really accurate color monitors.

Lauri Raittila

Applebrown said:
This is a simple website I'm working on but am having trouble with a
seemingly simple border:
www.sunbadgeco.com/sunmetal/bordertest.htm

You are doing it quite complex way
[...]

Tables aren't easy.

Learn CSS. It will be much easier:

div, div div {background: url(horz.gif) repeat-x;}
div div div, div div div div {background: url(vert.gif) repeat-y;}
div div div div div {background: url(top-left.gif) top left no-repeat;}
div div div div div div
{background: url(top-right.gif) top right no-repeat;}
div div div div div div div
{background: url(bottom-left.gif) bottom left no-repeat;}
div div div div div div div div
{background: url(bottom-right.gif) bottom right no-repeat;}

ccc...

With 3 corner images in the same image of course. Untested as I didn't
have such images. If you use div for something else too, better use some
classes. If someone suplies me such images, I'll make a testcase...