Browser type

tshad

How do you tell which browser is accessing your page?

I was using IE 6 and in my trace I am getting:

HTTP_USER_AGENT Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

I thought the http_user_agent was what you used to find the browser, but
this doesn't seem to be correct.

Thanks,

Tom

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I thought the http_user_agent was what you used to find the browser, but this doesn't seem to be
correct.

It *is* correct.
That http_user_agent is telling you that it was sent by MSIE 6.0.

It also says that you've got the .Net Framework 1.1 installed,
but haven't installed the .Net Framework 2.0.

tshad

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:

Because that's part of IE 6.0's http_user_agent string.

Try this request : Request.ServerVariables("http_user_agent")

See that example example at : http://asp.net.do/test/browserDetect.aspx
( the very last line of the detection routine... )

Is the following part of the string referring to what is on my machine or
the asp.net.do server?

..NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322

Thanks,

Tom

Juan T. Llibre

Tom,

re:
Is the following part of the string referring to what is on my machine or the asp.net.do server?
NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322

*Everything* on that page is what the server receives from your browser.
Your browser has sent all the info and the server just spews it back.

As far as that particular string, it means that you have
both the .Net Framework 1.0 and 1.1 installed.

Your *browser* sent the server that info.

tshad

Ok,

Thanks,

Tom