Browsing Files on IIS Server

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by J P Singh, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. J P Singh

    J P Singh Guest

    We have a department who scans a lot of pictures for each project they work
    on and then emails them out to about 100 odd users within the company. This
    causes lots of problems hence we decided to map thier folder to a webserver
    so instead of them emailing out everything they can send out a link to allow
    users to view the pictures in thier browsers.

    What they effectively do is every time they start work on a new project they
    create a sub folder with that particular project number and save the
    pictures in there.

    the users can see the pictures by using the url like

    http://ourserver/xxxxxx

    where xxxxxx is the project number.

    We have used the file system object to generate a list of files like the one
    below. The question is we want to give our users and option of using the
    First , Previous, Next and Last links when viewing the files in any folder
    so they don't have to keep clicking every single file to view it.

    One solution that I could think of was to have a java script pop with the
    links but don't know how to code it. Does anyone have any idea how I can
    accomplish this. Also thing to keep in mind is that new subfolders are being
    created every week.

    <%
    'Create our filesystem object
    Set objFS = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    'Get this folder
    FolderPath=Request.ServerVariables("APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH") & "files"
    Set objFolder = objFS.GetFolder(FolderPath)
    Set objFiles = objFolder.Files
    For Each objFile In objFiles %>
    <TR>
    <TD><font size="2" face="Verdana"><%=objFile.ParentFolder%></font></TD>
    <TD><font size="2" face="Verdana"><% Response.Write("<a href='files\"
    + objFile.Name + "' target = " & "_blank" & ">" + objFile.Name +
    "<br>")%></font></TD>
    </TR>
    <% Next %>

    J P Singh, Sep 10, 2003

  2. J P Singh

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    If these are all images, you might look into one of the many photo
    album scripts floating around. Some will produce thumbnails as well.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Sep 10, 2003

  3. You could always place everything within an array then
    loop through the array.

    Dale J. Kovacs, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Since our database is currently unavailable and I may need
    something like this in the future I took some time and
    created what I believe you are looking for. If you wish
    to drop me an e-mail I will be happy to send you the two
    pages I crated to handle this.

    - Dale

    Dale J. Kovacs, Sep 10, 2003
  5. I just have the same request.
    Currently developping a web based file browser.
    Here you can see an example:
    http://www.sportconsult.be/browser/

    the folders and contents are dynamically read with
    Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    the folder contents is just listed right know, but I am working on creating
    thumbs on the fly

    It is still in a beta fase, but let me know what you think about.

    regards,

    bartp

    Hyper A.R.T.
    bart plessers
    Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
    3001 Heverlee
    BELGIUM
    tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
    fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06

    bart plessers, Sep 11, 2003
  6. J P Singh

    John Burns Guest

    Why not try something like jalbum?
    www.datadosen.se
    it runs on java virtual machine, but set it up and save the defaults, you
    can then click 'make album' or 'rebuild all'. Clicking make album only
    creates thumbnails for new images and re-creates all of the html files.
    I have a photo directory of over 2000 images and it works wonders.

    -John

    John Burns, Sep 16, 2003
  7. yes indeed. Nice software!

    However, the asp tools is just a 'project' for me. Good for learning and
    ..... fully custumizable too...

    thanx for the link

    Bart Plessers \(artabel\), Sep 16, 2003