Building Ruby 1.8.5 interpreter for Windows

Yasemin Afacan

I am a new commer to this site and I am learning Ruby for my Ph.D.
thesis to write a plug-in for SketchUp. Since I am architect, I am
unfamiliar with software terminology.

I have also problems with Ruby Interpreter, I have downloaded Ruby
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ from Ruby 1.8.5 One-Click
Installer
And now how is possible to get the Interpreter What should I do? Can you
help me?
How can I manage with those some simple hacks???

Yas

Bira

I am a new commer to this site and I am learning Ruby for my Ph.D.
thesis to write a plug-in for SketchUp. Since I am architect, I am
unfamiliar with software terminology.

I have also problems with Ruby Interpreter, I have downloaded Ruby
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ from Ruby 1.8.5 One-Click
Installer
And now how is possible to get the Interpreter What should I do? Can you
help me?
How can I manage with those some simple hacks???

After executing the One-Click Installer, you should be able to type
"irb" in a Command Prompt and get something like this:

irb(main):001:0>

If you do, you have installed Ruby correctly. You can type Ruby code
directly in the irb prompt, and it will run. You can also type your
code in a text editor, save the file with a ".rb" extension and, again
in a Command Prompt window, type the following:

ruby <the name of the file you saved>

This will call the interpreter, and it will run the code inside your file.

David Roberts

Yasemin said:
I am a new commer to this site and I am learning Ruby for my Ph.D.
thesis to write a plug-in for SketchUp. Since I am architect, I am
unfamiliar with software terminology.

I have also problems with Ruby Interpreter, I have downloaded Ruby
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ from Ruby 1.8.5 One-Click
Installer
And now how is possible to get the Interpreter What should I do? Can you
help me?
How can I manage with those some simple hacks???

Yas

Please see my reply to your identical query under the 1.8.4 heading.

DeeJay

Alex Young

Yasemin said:
I am a new commer to this site and I am learning Ruby for my Ph.D.
thesis to write a plug-in for SketchUp. Since I am architect, I am
unfamiliar with software terminology.

I have also problems with Ruby Interpreter, I have downloaded Ruby
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ from Ruby 1.8.5 One-Click
Installer
And now how is possible to get the Interpreter What should I do? Can you
help me?
How can I manage with those some simple hacks???
If you've run the installer, you should now be able to double-click .rb
files and have them run under the installed Ruby interpreter. Also, you
can open a command window and type 'irb' (no quotes) - that will give
you a command-line interface to the interpreter.

HOWEVER:

That's not how SketchUp's Ruby interface works. From a quick look at
it, SketchUp expects its Ruby scripts to be put into its Plugins
directory, from where they are automatically loaded. SketchUp's Ruby is
completely independent from the Ruby installed by the One-Click
Installer - they're different versions.

Yasemin Afacan

Alex said:
If you've run the installer, you should now be able to double-click .rb
files and have them run under the installed Ruby interpreter. Also, you
can open a command window and type 'irb' (no quotes) - that will give
you a command-line interface to the interpreter.

HOWEVER:

That's not how SketchUp's Ruby interface works. From a quick look at
it, SketchUp expects its Ruby scripts to be put into its Plugins
directory, from where they are automatically loaded. SketchUp's Ruby is
completely independent from the Ruby installed by the One-Click
Installer - they're different versions.

Thanks a lot for your kind helps