Ruby 1.8.5 on Mac OS X

doog

On Mac OS X 10.4.8, Ruby 1.8.2 is installed in /usr/bin/ruby
I installed RubyGems and several libraries.

I needed to upgrade to the latest version,
so I downloaded Ruby 1.8.5 source from:
http://www2.ruby-lang.org/en/20020102.html
which I installed in:
/usr/local/bin/rub
Now RubyGems and the libraries I had installed are not found.

I can run ruby with this alias:

ruby='/usr/local/bin/ruby'

Is there a way to get RubyGems and the libraries to be
recognized by this new version? Or a way to install them
into the new version?

-Doug

Une bévue

doog said:
so I downloaded Ruby 1.8.5 source from:
http://www2.ruby-lang.org/en/20020102.html
which I installed in:
/usr/local/bin/rub
Now RubyGems and the libraries I had installed are not found.

I can run ruby with this alias:

ruby='/usr/local/bin/ruby'

Is there a way to get RubyGems and the libraries to be
recognized by this new version? Or a way to install them
into the new version?

Yes "no prob" ;-)

currently (apart from Apple's buggy ruby) i'm using two rubies install
one under /opt (MacPort) another one devoted to jRuby under my HOME/bin.

aliasing isn't sufficiant, u have also to setup your PATH such a way the
kernel hits /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin, afaik.

entering in ther terminal :

which ruby

gives you the "good" one ?

also did you setup in your env vars GEM_HOME, RUBYOPT and RUBYGEMS ?

another way to specify dirs is to use a ~/.gemrc see the on line man of
rubygems.

hoping that could help.

cremes.devlist

On Mac OS X 10.4.8, Ruby 1.8.2 is installed in /usr/bin/ruby
I installed RubyGems and several libraries.

I needed to upgrade to the latest version,
so I downloaded Ruby 1.8.5 source from:
http://www2.ruby-lang.org/en/20020102.html
which I installed in:
/usr/local/bin/rub
Now RubyGems and the libraries I had installed are not found.

I can run ruby with this alias:

ruby='/usr/local/bin/ruby'

Is there a way to get RubyGems and the libraries to be
recognized by this new version? Or a way to install them
into the new version?

Doug,

you need to add "/usr/local/bin" to your PATH variable. It's apparent
from this question that you don't understand some of the basics of
OSX's UNIX shell behavior. Here's a link [1] to a set of basic UNIX
tutorials which will give you a nice foundation for working in a
shell environment going forward.

In the meantime, fire up Terminal.app and do the following:

1. cd $HOME

2. echo 'PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH' >> .profile

3. echo 'export PATH' >> .profile

Make sure you use single quotes instead of double quotes!

Quit Terminal.app and then reopen it. At the shell prompt type 'which
ruby' to confirm it returns '/usr/local/bin/ruby' to you.

cr

[1] http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

doog

Thanks for the info about GEM_HOME. I set up /usr/local/bin
to be ahead of /usr/bin. I still have trouble getting the gems
to be loaded with the newer /usr/local/bin/ruby

Here's my setup now:
/usr/local/bin/ruby # latest ruby
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ # gems

Do I set:
GEM_HOME=/usr/lib/ruby/gems
or
GEM_HOME=/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems

Also, it's not clear to what values to use for "user directory"
and the "mygemrepository" in the following (taken from the RubyGems
man page: http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/3)

Use the following to install RubyGems in a user directory
(here called /home/mystuff)
with a repository named /home/mygemrepository):

$ export GEM_HOME=/home/mygemrepository
$ ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/home/mystuff
$ ruby setup.rb setup
$ ruby setup.rb install

At the moment, I don't need RUBYOPT because I use
require 'rubygems'

matt neuburg

doog said:
[...]

What happens when you say "gem environment" at the command line? m.

Une bévue

doog said:
Here's my setup now:
/usr/local/bin/ruby # latest ruby
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ # gems

I think you've installed rubygems using /usr/bin/ruby, the Apple's one ?

may be you didn't change your PATH hit before ?

Do I set:
GEM_HOME=/usr/lib/ruby/gems
or
GEM_HOME=/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems

neither only :

GEM_HOME=/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

but i would suspect you could enter into trouble, if i'm right, that's
to say you've installed rubygems with Apple's Ruby...

personaly in such a situation i would re-install rubygems to insure it
is linked to the right ruby.
Also, it's not clear to what values to use for "user directory"
and the "mygemrepository" in the following (taken from the RubyGems
man page: http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/3)

Use the following to install RubyGems in a user directory
(here called /home/mystuff)
with a repository named /home/mygemrepository):

$ export GEM_HOME=/home/mygemrepository
$ ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/home/mystuff
$ ruby setup.rb setup
$ ruby setup.rb install

no need for a repository except you want to download first and install
afterwards ?

otherwise gem is able to download remotely the gems you want to install.
At the moment, I don't need RUBYOPT because I use
require 'rubygems'

OK, fine.

doog

Got 1.8.5 installed on Macintosh with gems.
Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate you helping me get past
this.

Basically, I put "/usr/local/bin" ahead of "/usr/bin" in my PATH in
~/.profile
Then I re-installed rubygem to "/usr/local" and

$ ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/usr/local

and re-installed all my gems, which automatically installed them into
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems

Details below...
I think you've installed rubygems using /usr/bin/ruby, the Apple's one ?

Yes. I installed rubygems when Apple's /usr/bin/ruby was the only
version on my Mac.
may be you didn't change your PATH hit before ?

You mean change PATH to include /usr/local/bin/ruby before installing
rubygems?
That would be correct, since /usr/local/bin/ruby didn't yet exist when
I installed rubygems.
personaly in such a situation i would re-install rubygems to insure it
is linked to the right ruby.

Okay, I did succeed re-installing ruby gems

$ cd rubygems-0.9.1
$ ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/usr/local

I figured out which value to pass in to --prefix by looking in
setup.rb:

$ grep setup.rb | grep prefix
_stdruby = "$prefix/lib/ruby/#{version}"

The argument to --prefix should be clarified in
http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3

Calling "gem environment" now prints nicely:

$ gem environment
Rubygems Environment:
- VERSION: 0.9.0 (0.9.0)
- GEM PATH: