Building Windows C Extension

Scott Preston

All,

I am sure this has been brought up before but I am having problems
writing a simple hello word C extension for Ruby in Windows.

I am able to use nmake to build the library but get:

a C++ popup with R6034 Load Error / (DLL) initialization routine
failed....1.8/i386-msvcrt/mytest.so (LoadError)...

In trying to use MinGW, it does not like the makefile generated by
extconf.rb, and gets hung up on the colon in the topdir. relative
pathing does not work

So I am out of luck on both accounts.

Any help appriciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Jason Roelofs

Building an extension on Windows can be an exercise in frustration.
The biggest problem is that Windows Ruby is still built with VC6 and
thus extensions built with any later technology probably won't work.

The best way I've done it is through Cygwin. There are ways of getting
mingw to work, but it's not pretty and not guarenteed. With the
One-Click Installer, try the following:

CPPFLAGS=-D_MSC_VER=1200 LIBS=-lmsvcp60 ./configure

then see if the compilation will work for you.

Jason

Roger Pack

post the error message to the one click installer if you'd like help
with mingw :)

Scott Preston

the error I get from the make via mingw is:

*** target pattern contains no `%'. Stop.

Roger Pack

Scott said:
the error I get from the make via mingw is:

*** target pattern contains no `%'. Stop.

for me this means that cygwin's path is before my mingw path. Putting
mingw at the front helped.
GL.
-R

Scott Preston

I installed an old copy of visual studio 6, compiled my extension with
VC6 and everything worked.

Thanks all for your responses.

Cheers,
Scott