built in zip function speed

mart.franklin

I hope I am not being too ignorant :p but here goes... my boss has
written a bit of python code and asked me to speed it up for him...
I've reduced the run time from around 20 minutes to 13 (not bad I think
;) to speed it up further I asked him to replace a loop like this:-

index = 0

for element in a:
av = a[index]
bv = b[index]
cv = c[index]
dv = d[index]
avbv = (av-bv) * (av-bv)
diff = cv - dv
e.append(diff - avbv)
index = index + 1

(where a, b, c and d are 200,000 element float arrays)
to use the built in zip function.. it would seem made for this problem!

for av, bv, cv, dv in zip(a, b, c, d):
avbv = (av-bv) * (av - bv)
diff = cv - dv
e.append(diff - avbv)

however this seems to run much slower than *I* thought it would
(and in fact slower than slicing) I guess what I am asking is.. would
you expect this?

full code listing (I hope I have made a very obvious error):-

import array
import time

a = array.array("f")
b = array.array("f")
c = array.array("f")
d = array.array("f")
e = array.array("f")

for value in xrange(1, 200000, 1):
a.append(float(value))
b.append(float(value))
c.append(float(value))
d.append(float(value))

start = time.time()

index = 0

for element in a:
av = a[index]
bv = b[index]
cv = c[index]
dv = d[index]
avbv = (av-bv) * (av-bv)
diff = cv - dv
e.append(diff - avbv)
index = index + 1

end0 = time.time()

print end0-start

e = array.array("f")

for av, bv, cv, dv in zip(a, b, c, d):
avbv = (av-bv) * (av - bv)
diff = cv - dv
e.append(diff - avbv)

end1 = time.time()

print end1-end0

e = array.array("f")

## just for a laugh my own zip function
## the joke is it runs faster than built in zip ??

def myzip(*args):
index = 0
for elem in args[0]:
zipper = []
for arg in args:
zipper.append(arg[index])
index = index +1
yield zipper

for av, bv, cv, dv in myzip(a, b, c, d):
avbv = (av-bv) * (av - bv)
diff = cv - dv
e.append(diff - avbv)

end2 = time.time()

print end2-end1

timings from 4 million element input array

slice:
8.77999997139

zip():
36.5759999752

myzip():
12.1449999809

mart.franklin

Rune said:
itertools.izip is usually faster than zip. You can try that.

Thanks very much

timing for itertools.izip

for av, bv, cv, dv in itertools.izip(a, b, c, d):
avbv = (av-bv) * (av - bv)
diff = cv - dv
e.append(diff - avbv)

on a 4 million element aray:

slice:
8.06299996376

built in zip:
36.5169999599

myzip:
12.0320000648

izip:
5.76499986649

so fastest overall

mart.franklin

Rune said:
itertools.izip is usually faster than zip. You can try that.

Thanks very much

timing for itertools.izip

for av, bv, cv, dv in itertools.izip(a, b, c, d):
avbv = (av-bv) * (av - bv)
diff = cv - dv
e.append(diff - avbv)

on a 4 million element aray:

slice:
8.06299996376

built in zip:
36.5169999599

myzip:
12.0320000648

izip:
5.76499986649

so fastest overall

Fredrik Lundh

## just for a laugh my own zip function
## the joke is it runs faster than built in zip ??

since it doesn't do the same thing, it's not a very good joke.
def myzip(*args):
index = 0
for elem in args[0]:
zipper = []
for arg in args:
zipper.append(arg[index])
index = index +1
yield zipper

</F>

Rune Strand

so fastest overall

you may experience speed-ups by using

from itertools import izip

and just use izip() instead to avoid the module namespace lookup. The
same applies for the list.append() methods. If you're appending some
million times

a_list = []
a_list_append = a_list.append
a_list_append(value)

will be faster than

a_list.append(value)

but not much.

mart.franklin

Steven said:
I hope I am not being too ignorant :p but here goes... my boss has
written a bit of python code and asked me to speed it up for him...
I've reduced the run time from around 20 minutes to 13 (not bad I think
;) to speed it up further I asked him to replace a loop like this:-

index = 0

for element in a:
av = a[index]
bv = b[index]
cv = c[index]
dv = d[index]
avbv = (av-bv) * (av-bv)
diff = cv - dv
e.append(diff - avbv)
index = index + 1

This is, I think, a good case for an old-fashioned for-with-index loop:

for i in len(a):
e.append(c - d - (a - b)**2)

Python doesn't optimize away lines of code -- you have to do it yourself.
Every line of Python code takes a bit of time to execute. My version uses
34 lines disassembled; yours takes 60 lines, almost twice as much code.

(See the dis module for further details.)

It's too much to hope that my code will be twice as fast as yours, but it
should be a little faster.

indeed thanks very much :)

my tests on 4 million:-

slice (original):
7.73399996758

built in zip:
36.7350001335

izip:
5.98399996758

Steven slice:
4.96899986267

so overall fastest so far

Yes. zip() makes a copy of your data. It's going to take some time to copy
4 * 200,000 floats into one rather large list. That list is an ordinary
Python list of objects, not an array of bytes like the array module
uses. That means zip has to convert every one of those 800,000 floats
into rich Python float objects. This won't matter for small sets of data,
but with 800,000 of them, it all adds up.

I was beginning to suspect this was the case (I opened windows task
manager and noticed the memory usage) thanks for explaining it to me.

mart.franklin

Fredrik said:
## just for a laugh my own zip function
## the joke is it runs faster than built in zip ??

since it doesn't do the same thing, it's not a very good joke.
def myzip(*args):
index = 0
for elem in args[0]:
zipper = []
for arg in args:
zipper.append(arg[index])
index = index +1
yield zipper

</F>

indeed, the joke is on me ;) I thanks for pointing it out

Steven D'Aprano

[...]

bearophileHUGS

(e-mail address removed):

Using Python you can do:

# Data:
l_a = [1.1, 1.2]
l_b = [2.1, 2.2]
l_c = [3.1, 3.2]
l_d = [5.1, 4.2]

from itertools import izip
l_e = [(c-d) - (a-b)*(a-b) for a,b,c,d in izip(l_a, l_b, l_c, l_d)]
print l_e

With psyco + the standard module array you can probably go quite fast,
Psyco regognizes those arrays and speeds them a lot.

But with something like this you can probably go faster:

from numarray import array
arr_a = array(l_a)
arr_b = array(l_b)
arr_c = array(l_c)
arr_d = array(l_d)
arr_e = (arr_c - arr_d) - (arr_a - arr_b)**2
print arr_e

(Instead of numarray you can use ScyPy, numerics, etc.)
If your data in on disk you can avoid the list=>array conversion, and
load the data from the numerical library itself, this is probably
almost as fast as doing the same thing in C.

Bye,
bearophile

Peter Otten

I hope I am not being too ignorant :p but here goes... my boss has
written a bit of python code and asked me to speed it up for him...
I've reduced the run time from around 20 minutes to 13 (not bad I think
;) to speed it up further I asked him to replace a loop like this:-

index = 0

for element in a:
av = a[index]
bv = b[index]
cv = c[index]
dv = d[index]
avbv = (av-bv) * (av-bv)
diff = cv - dv
e.append(diff - avbv)
index = index + 1

For /real/ speed-ups use a numerical library, e. g.

# untested
from numarray import array
a = array(a)
b = array(b)
c = array(c)
d = array(d)
e = (c-d) - (a-b)*(a-b)

Peter

Peter Otten

Peter said:
from numarray import array
a = array(a)
b = array(b)
c = array(c)
d = array(d)
e = (c-d) - (a-b)*(a-b)

Oops, bearophile has already posted the same idea with better execution...

John J. Lee

(Instead of numarray you can use ScyPy, numerics, etc.)
If your data in on disk you can avoid the list=>array conversion, and
load the data from the numerical library itself, this is probably
almost as fast as doing the same thing in C.

Apparently if you're starting to write numerical code with Python
these days you should use numpy, not Numeric or numarray.

(Note that in old postings you'll see 'numpy' used as a synonym for
what's now strictly called 'Numeric'. First came Numeric, then the
offshoots/rewrites numarray and scipy-core, and now numpy has come
along to re-unify the two camps -- hooray!)

John